Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders caught eating their own poop
Food, Diet
Jun 04 2019
10:37:04 PM
Hello so I just adopt 3 gliders which consist of mom, dad, and their kid (I just got them three days ago). my friend who helps me adopt them told me that the previous owner used to give them a lot of mealworms, which then resulted in all my gliders now obese. When they got here, the same friend told me to change their diets so they won’t have any health problems. So I started changing their diets to cucumbers and I also started reducing their amount of food.

They seem fine at first, finishing all their foods, behaving normally, etc. But yesterday, I caught the kid eating her own poop, and according to all the info that I read, it could be because of the lack of nutrition. So I started giving them baby food (which is safe for them) and sure enough, I haven’t seen the kid eat her own poop. But today, I caught the mom eating her own poop! I asked my friend about this and she said that it’s because they usually given huge amount of food so they need to eat anything there when there is no food left. But the mom still eat her own poop when they still have some food left! She even eat the baby food again after she ate the poop.

I want to bring them to the vet but I don’t have enough money yet to bring them since the exotic pet vet is really expensive here in my country. I read a few post that said gliders eating poop is a normal behavior, but I can’t help getting worried seeing them like that. But i’ll sure bring them to the vet when I have save enough money. Can I do something about this in the meantime saving money for the vet?

P.s: I gave them honey water as treats sometimes, and I haven’t caught the dad eating his own poop.

Edited by - Foxiedust on Jun 04 2019 10:38:48 PM
Food, Diet
Jun 05 2019
02:14:21 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
you should put them on a better diet. cucumber is nothing.

1. BML diet

or

2. critterlove/OHPW diet.

this will have staple (protein and calcium) and healthy fruits and veggies.

some mealworms are nice treats, yogurt drops nice treats but only a few.
Food, Diet
Jun 06 2019
02:23:17 AM
Foxiedust Starting Member 2 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

you should put them on a better diet. cucumber is nothing.

1. BML diet

or

2. critterlove/OHPW diet.

this will have staple (protein and calcium) and healthy fruits and veggies.

some mealworms are nice treats, yogurt drops nice treats but only a few.

Thank you! I will surely try those out!
Food, Diet
Sep 01 2020
01:03:24 AM
kelsiigrrl Starting Member 4 Posts
definitely try out some new diets! i read somewhere that they could be eating their own poop because their not getting the nutrients they needs, as you said above. so try mixing in new fruits/veggies and make sure you’re giving them a good mix and variety a night. cucumbers isnt enough for them. they need a change up to make sure they’re getting everything they need.

i feed mine lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, pears, carrots, broccoli, mangos, watermelon, melon, cantaloupe and more.

i know pineapple is a good choice for them as well but mine just do not like pineapple.

here’s a couple links with references I use

www.sugar-gliders.com/glidervet-60.htm

www.critterlove.com/pdf/_sugar_glider_safe_fruits__veggies.pdf

nhsugargliders.com/estore/glider-information/food-and-diet.html

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders