Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding
Bonding
Question
Jun 19 2019
11:34:41 PM
This website I found goes against everything I have previously read about bonding. I would like to know your opinions on what it written here:

tropicalattitudepets.com/bonding-with-sugar-gliders/

I am still trying to do the right thing for my gliders as well as for my family and I welcome you opinions and especially your input based on personal experiences.

Thank you!
Question
Jun 20 2019
07:11:54 PM
clreilly Starting Member 3 Posts
Hello!

I am new to the forum. I owned a sugar glider over ten years ago and am hoping to get some soon. I've been doing a ton of research and I hope this helps!

There is a vet who owns and has worked with sugar gliders for years. I think he is retired now, but a lot of his videos are still up on Youtube. This is a link for the one he made on bonding:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=orsoqG69H6Y&t=78s

Another thing I did while researching is called some of the exotic vets in my area and ask them questions. Almost all of them were happy to chat with me for a few minutes. If they can't chat, they have responded via email before.

Hope this helps!
Question
Jun 22 2019
12:56:45 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
All of my gliders were older when I got them and they are all bonded and love me. The youngest was 7 months when he came to me. One of them was not handled much at all when he was younger but is still bonded and trusting now. I would ignore that website. How well they bond depends on their personality, their past experiences with humans, and how comfortable you are handling them.
Question
Jun 24 2019
12:24:30 AM
Samui Lenny Starting Member Samui Lenny's Journal 1 Posts
Bonding will also depend on individual temperaments. We have had a family of 8 for a long time. They have free run of the house and are all treated equally.

They breed occasionally and those young are passed off to caring friends. It is interesting to note: We leave those young alone whilst they are dependent on the mums for food. At that stage the whole group is fiercely protective but when the littlies begin to eat on their own they fall into bonding by learning off their parents and adapt to human companionship.

We do, however, see variations in temprament, even though the handling is identical. Females tend to be a bit skittish whereas the males are mostly unconditional love - the only problem bein little love nibbles when they are climbing over you.
Question
Jun 27 2019
01:03:32 PM
VR86104@eanesisd.net Starting Member 1 Posts
I have had my sugar gliders for a few months now and one of them seems to not be bonding very well to anyone. Every time we go to get them out of their cage she starts crabbing even if we aren't even trying to grab her. She also crabs every time we mover her or the pouch she is in or try to give her a treat. Recently we have been putting her in the same pouch as her sister to see if this changes anything. It's helped a little we think but we aren't sure. We think she has bonded to her sister and now she won't bond to anyone. We also thought she needed a little bit longer to get to know us better, but nothing has really helped if anything she has just gotten a worse attitude since we got her. Is their another/better way to get her to bond to someone other than spending time with her, cutting old shirts and putting them in the cage, having her in a bonding porch all day. giving her lots of treats and play time with us and the res of the sugar gliders? Please help the rest of them have bonded but not her.
Question
Jun 27 2019
06:16:12 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Mysty

This website I found goes against everything I have previously read about bonding. I would like to know your opinions on what it written here:

tropicalattitudepets.com/bonding-with-sugar-gliders/

I am still trying to do the right thing for my gliders as well as for my family and I welcome you opinions and especially your input based on personal experiences.

Thank you!

I would say there is more then one way to skin a cat. so it's not that the
maker of that article is wrong with the way they do it, but to think that is the
only way to do it, that I think would be wrong.
we got gizmo and link first as babies, both are friendly and tame, but gizmo
was bonded quickly to my wife as a baby, the kids were suppose to bond with link, but never did, so after 6 months or more I started to bond with him. Other gliders
we got as rehomed, and none were young and all are much more friendly and tame now.
Riggs we got as a 1 year old, he would jump on me and then jump off and run down
the hallway. so I had to teach him to stay in the cage, we had a larger number of
gliders riggs got less friendly and more scared of us. Now I am back to colony of
6 gliders and in glider room riggs will go to my legs and curl up and sleep in my legs, I can also pick him up without nips anymore, he will stay in my crossed legs
letting me pet him until I leave the glider room.
Question
Jun 27 2019
06:29:31 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by VR86104@eanesisd.net

I have had my sugar gliders for a few months now and one of them seems to not be bonding very well to anyone. Every time we go to get them out of their cage she starts crabbing even if we aren't even trying to grab her. She also crabs every time we mover her or the pouch she is in or try to give her a treat. Recently we have been putting her in the same pouch as her sister to see if this changes anything. It's helped a little we think but we aren't sure. We think she has bonded to her sister and now she won't bond to anyone. We also thought she needed a little bit longer to get to know us better, but nothing has really helped if anything she has just gotten a worse attitude since we got her. Is their another/better way to get her to bond to someone other than spending time with her, cutting old shirts and putting them in the cage, having her in a bonding porch all day. giving her lots of treats and play time with us and the res of the sugar gliders? Please help the rest of them have bonded but not her.

I have a colony of 6, one female is not bonded and will come for treats, let
me pet her a little but is always skittish, ready to run away. She will always give
a little grab from the pouch, but will only give me a very small nip if I bother
her to much. (its more like she touches her teeth to my finger then a bite).
the best I have done is to put my back to the cage, she usually stays in the cage, and have LIVE mealworms out. for these she will climb on my shoulder and sit
with me and eat them. but for other treats she stays off of me. she tries to eat
out of a bonding pouch, does not what to be in it. so I just mostly let her be,
I have 5 others on me and its hard to give one on one attention with 5 other climbing all over me. I can only say try to push her to do more each time you
have time with her. I used to make the gliders step on my arm to reach for a treat or they didn't get one. then later they had to climb all the way on my arm for the
treat. we have had 2 females that have just been very resistant to trust us.
Bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding