Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Gliders - blood spray on wall behind cage
Question
Nov 15 2019
10:45:22 PM
Hi all, I am new here. My wife and I have had 2 sugar gliders for 4 yrs now. We believed we had a male and female as that is what the breeder told us.However, we had 2 females. They have lived peacefully with us for 4 yrs. Both thriving and part of our family. A few months ago we noticed that there was blood spatters on the wall behind their cage. We checked them both carefully for any injuries, missing nail/s etc. And nothing. They were both in good health and no injury? Months have gone by and it has not happened again. We decided to get a young male to join our girls. He was approx 2 months old. We thought being young, they would all be more inclined to get along. We slowly introduced them all and they are now all in the same cage and getting along very well. They share the same sleeping bag and play nicely with each other and can be seen grooming each other. We couldn't be happier that they all take to each other and that they all like interacting with us and getting pats and hugs. However, again this morning we got up to see blood splatters on the wall behind their cage. This time a substantial amount. It was also in one of the food bowls. We have taken each of them out of the bag and gone over them with a fine tooth comb. Once again, everyone shows no injury or distress. After being inspected and patted they all decided it was a good time for a morning snack and jump around the cage. They show no signs of distress, ill health or change in behavior. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on s we are stumped???
Question
Nov 16 2019
05:19:01 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Is there any diarrhea in the cage? If one of them has a problem with going to the bathroom, their cloaca could swell and bleed when they urinate or go poo. Pay attention to them when they're awake and try to notice if one is hissing when he or she goes to the bathroom.
Question
Nov 16 2019
06:01:39 AM
BigBear Starting Member Australia 3 Posts
Hello Kferg, thank you for replying,i have noticed that to hundreds of views there are so few responses on this forum, so thank you. No diarrhea, nothing out of the ordinary, that is why we are so confused?? No hissing or any other noise, they are awake and feeding right now, and after 4 yrs of raising and handling them, (other than the male who we have had for approx 6 weeks) we cannot see any change in them.
It just seems to be a mystery we cannot seem to crack!
They are healthy, lively and loving as always, just the blood spattering on the wall this morning in particular was substantial and worrying.

We have no idea or clue as they appear unharmed/damaged, or changed in personality or behavior.
Question
Nov 16 2019
07:23:37 AM
I'm still leaning towards something wrong with their cloaca because you wouldn't see it unless you actually watch them go to the bathroom and see the cloaca red and bloody (this happens to my glider).
Keep an eye out for that and if you see it bring them to the vet.
The only other thing I can think of is a little obvious but I'll ask it anyway... Did they have a red food that they might be splattering instead of blood?
Question
Nov 16 2019
05:14:05 PM
BigBear Starting Member Australia 3 Posts
Hello Kferg, thankyou for your response once again. No it was definately blood and we hadnt given them anything more red than usual, so you may be right about what is wrong. I watched them for a while last night and couldn't see anything. No blood this morning thankfully, but we will definately keep an eye on them!
Question
Nov 16 2019
05:43:06 PM
You're welcome!
Good luck! I hope you find out what's wrong.
Question
Jun 04 2020
03:07:09 AM
Jennfaith Joey Visit Jennfaith's Photo Album USA 16 Posts
Just a random thought is there any way like a small creature such as a baby mouse could have gotten in the cage and they ate it?? Please keep us updated...maybe you want to set up a camera on the cage but I would take them to a vet just to.make sure all is well.
Best of luck

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders