GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing new couple
Introducing new couple
Question
Nov 16 2019
05:07:10 PM
Hi there,

Thank you so much for the website it was very helpful for me. I am an owner of 4 sugar gliders and I have a small enquiry, I hope you can help with. Since one year I have two sugar gliders couple and I've decided to bring new sugar glider home, that was before one week but I found that when I tried to introduce him to the couple they fight with him (outside the cage on the fence) so I did a research and I found that you cannot bring one male to couple the males can't be more than the females so I decided to buy a new female and make them two couples however the next day I bought the female and nicely he welcome her (the new one in a separate cage) so now I have the new couple in a small cage and the old couple in the big cage so I tried again today to bring them together by leaving one of the sugar glider climing outside the cage of the new sugar glider but still they fight! What is wrong why they still fight, I even tried to swap the cage to let them smell each other but that doesn't help.

Please help me
Question
Nov 16 2019
09:41:06 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
you are going way to fast. you need to spend weeks depending on the glider
to let them get used to the new scent. gliders PROTECT THEIR TERRITORY, if needed
to the death! according to ALL the instructions I have read you need to spend
weeks swapping pouches and AFTER that having cages close together.

EVEN AFTER ALL THIS, a glider may NOT want a new glider in their cage or their
territory.

we have a colony of 6, it used to be 10. we got 2 gliders returned to us that
used to be a part of the 10 a year ago. But GUS is now older, has 5 cagemates and
after weeks of scent training would only fight with the new/returned gliders in
the bathtub so we couldn't put them together. GUS is a very bossy alpha and I
think he will never again let us add more to HIS colony.

www.sugarglider.info/care/intros/

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Introductions

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Nov 16 2019 09:41:53 PM
Introducing new couple

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing new couple