Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Injury to back legs
Injury to back legs
Health related
Dec 20 2019
07:37:29 PM
Firstly, please do not get mad at me. I know I made a mistake & I feel horrible about the situation.

2 nights ago, one of my sugar gliders went missing in my 416sq ft house. I looked everywhere that morning before work, and that evening, and couldn't find him. This morning at 6am, I heard him, he got stuck in a metal rail of my staircase. I dismantled the staircase & removed the screw which prevented him from crawling out, but he wouldn't move. The part I made a mistake on, was using a broomstick to push him from behind, far enough for him to then grab some string & I pulled him out the front.

He was crawling around like crazy, but dragging one of his back legs & barely using the other one. I then took him to a sugar glider vet who did X-Ray's & said he has no broken bones, but he may have neurological or nerve damage (I assume from the broomstick). She got him to grip with both back legs & he's able to hang upside down, so there is hope that it's just weakness and he will recover. He's now back in a solo cage, and I have set an alarm to try to feed him honey (their recommendation) or exotic nutrition food every hour. The vet also gave me medicine to administer once a day.

I feel so horrible about this situation, I just want this little guy to make a recovery. I am buying glider-cal to put on his food for calcium. Is there anything else I can do to help him?
Injury to back legs

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Injury to back legs