Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Inherited glider
Inherited glider
Pictures
Mar 15 2020
01:11:07 PM
My daughter bought a glider back in October knowing nothing about them other than what the seller told her. She was told "you can feed them anything" at the time she purchased her glider they seller had 3 in a little box and was feeding them popcorn. We were told the one she purchased was a female and named it Petunia. The seller said they hadnt messed with them much because they didnt want thw glider to bond with them since they were selling them. Fast forward about 6 weeks i visit my daughter and she has Petunia in a hamster cage and it smelled HORRIBLE. i told her she needed to clean the cage and she says she is scared to try to pick it up. Of course it would bite and crab. And she is feeding it "whatever they eat" pizza, ham, chips, etc. A week later she says she is bringing Petunia to me. The first thing i did was give the little thing a bath and clean the cage. During the bath i discovered Petunia is a boy. A "breeder/seller" doesnt know sex, nor how to care for them. I look everywhere for all the info i can find on how to care for them. 1st getting a larger cage. Ordered high protein pellets and "yogi" treats. Fresh fruits and veggies and begin bonding. Through my research i discovered they should have a "friend" and a few days ago i was contacted by the same "breeder" that she had another "female" she needed to rehome. I went and got it it was in a pouch with a male glider when i picked her up and she smelled very "musky" i havent tried washing her yet i want to give her time to adjust. The two of them are getting along great. However i am wondering is there some way i can tell if she is in heator if he is simply excited to have a friend.
Pictures
Mar 15 2020
09:14:46 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
great job so far, nice to see an owner do the right thing for a gliders.

1. PLEASE DO NOT WASH THEM. this can be very bad. small animals need their body
heat, and the food they eat to create body heat, and a friend to sleep with will
help conserve this heat. these guys will groom and clean themselves AND each
other. (the one thing you can do if glider is really bad or has harmful chemicals
on them is take a towel, wet it, then get MOST of the water out, then just use it
to wipe their outside coat, making sure not to get them wet much at all, then dry
them if needed)

2. most of your food choices are great. I would add a staple. I use OHPW and
some use BML. this is a high protein with calcium staple that replaces the
tree sap they eat. there are several other staples available. I like OHPW as it
is easy to make but does require a few harder to get ingredients, but you can get
a usa made version called critterlove.com. BML I have read, the ingredients can
be gotten at your local store. while OHPW needs wombaroo from Australia, and
RAW honey and bee pollen(this can be gotten easier).
Pictures
Mar 15 2020
09:26:15 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
you should have done an introduction procedure to put two gliders together, BUT
if they are NOT fighting then you are fine, some gliders are just super happy to
have a friend and not be alone.

get a BIG cage with less then 1/2 inch bar space.
get a GLIDER SAFE wheel for them to run on, some wheels are not safe and can
hurt a glider or kill a glider.
www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/
dang, atticworx out of business.
www.deschas.cccruiser.com/bounceaction.html

several sites have good wheels, most of exotic nutrition wheels are not good in
the past, have not visited them lately.
in a wheel avoid the cracks in plastic wheels for hamsters, bad for nails.
and avoid a center post, very bad for tails and gliders can be killed.
critterlove should have good wheels
Inherited glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Inherited glider