Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Older solo male glider suddenly aggressive toward me
Behavior
Mar 16 2020
02:50:44 PM
A friend has had a male sugar glider since he was a baby for 10 years and couldn’t keep him anymore so me and my boyfriend took him. They socialized him in the beginning but when the kids got older, they had less to do with him. We have had him for 2 months now. Every night we let him run free in our living room while we sit on the couch so that he can explore. Since the beginning he has always been very very hyper. Likes to run and jump everywhere. He will not sit still unless he has food or is sleeping. We occasionally feed him a few snacks like mealworms or yogurt while he is out. Over the past 2 weeks or so he has been very aggressive with us when he never was before. He will bite our knuckles and fingertips out of the blue with no reason whatsoever. We gently blow in his face when he does it as a repercussion, but it hasn’t seemed to help. We have been trying to find another older glider to join him so he is not lonely in case that is why he has been acting up. Can anyone think of a reason for his sudden aggression?
Behavior
Mar 16 2020
10:09:35 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
this is an odd behavior I really don't have an answer for BUT to say...
If you are not bleeding after the bite it is not a REAL bite. your glider
can easily put his front teeth deep into your fingers etc...
My gus will sometimes groom me so hard I bleed.
the other night he gave me several moderate bites on the fingers, I gave him
a mealworm and he stopped.. I think he is training me.
I grabbed the ball pit and scared Gizmo he gave me at good nip.

I don't get blood/scared bites, but do sometimes get groomed hard, hair pulled,
nibbled and even sometime a good nip.

He could smell something on your hand, maybe he's just playing, hard to tell.
you also haven't had him long some maybe he's trying to be the Alpha to you.
Behavior
Mar 16 2020
10:20:15 PM
Maccastle Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

this is an odd behavior I really don't have an answer for BUT to say...
If you are not bleeding after the bite it is not a REAL bite. your glider
can easily put his front teeth deep into your fingers etc...
My gus will sometimes groom me so hard I bleed.
the other night he gave me several moderate bites on the fingers, I gave him
a mealworm and he stopped.. I think he is training me.
I grabbed the ball pit and scared Gizmo he gave me at good nip.

I don't get blood/scared bites, but do sometimes get groomed hard, hair pulled,
nibbled and even sometime a good nip.

He could smell something on your hand, maybe he's just playing, hard to tell.
you also haven't had him long some maybe he's trying to be the Alpha to you.

Sometimes it’s just a nip but sometimes we do bleed for a bit. It’s just odd that this aggression is so sudden after he was fine with us for a few months.
Information
Mar 18 2020
12:56:28 AM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
get yourself some thick fleece gloves, put them in his cage nest/bedding for a couple of nights, then use them when handling him. First you fool him into thinking you are (smell like) a glider, then if he tries to nip you're protected. When handling him with the gloves - dominate! hang onto him until he surrenders while petting. If you're not careful, his 'testing' of you will result in more dominate behavior - be the 'pack leader'! Animal psychology 101...
Behavior
Mar 19 2020
08:48:38 AM
... just a thought - is he the ONLY Sugar Glider you have? If so he's neurotic and needs a companion, or give him away to someone to add to their Glider Pack. Also, running loose will only encourage his feral behavior. Finally, STOP blowing into his face! This is like slapping a barking dog - you'll ONLY make things worse.
Behavior
Mar 21 2020
02:14:23 PM
Maccastle Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BatGirl

... just a thought - is he the ONLY Sugar Glider you have? If so he's neurotic and needs a companion, or give him away to someone to add to their Glider Pack. Also, running loose will only encourage his feral behavior. Finally, STOP blowing into his face! This is like slapping a barking dog - you'll ONLY make things worse.

He is the only glider we have. We have tried to get him a companion but every time we introduce him to other gliders it does not go well no matter how long we try to acclimate them. He has been alone his whole life, almost 11 years. And we do not just let him run free and go wherever he wants. He runs around the couch with us and that is it. And we are not blowing hard. It is not like slapping a dog. Just a gentle breeze. That is what our vet recommended as well as many experts online.
Behavior
Mar 21 2020
05:41:12 PM
Is he neutered? If not, that will thwart aggressive behavior somewhat.

Still, appears to be a bit feral - try handling him a lot with the fleece gloves mentioned above. Seems to need 're-taming'.

However, being a lone Sugar Glider is stressful. Might try putting him with a 'colony' (three or more) sugar gliders for a few weeks to socialize him some. The 'gang' will not allow him to be overly aggressive - there will be a dominant Glider that will use the others to socialize him.

Blowing into the face will only aggravate things - negative reinforcement usually does... reward good behavior only - no treats if he is acting up! Instead, try using the gloves to hold him still until he stop trying to bite.

10 years old is getting up there for a Glider - he may just be a bit senile
Behavior
Mar 22 2020
01:40:43 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have never blown in my gliders face, not sure if it will work or not.
If one of my gliders starts to groom hard or bite some, I will push him gently
away.
My gliders live in a 10 by 15 bedroom made glider safe, they run free in the
room all the time, only 1 out of 6 is still timid. and riggs has only gotten
more bonded and less timid. when I go into the room I have 3 gliders jumping on
my back and running up and down my arms, they go with me and the food to the
cage to eat. so I don't feel free roaming would be a problem.

I feel more strongly he is trying to be your alpha, as you are now his colony.
plus a few months is a short time, he may be wanting a treat, or smell something
tasty on your hand.

AS for single gliders, the information I have read, yes gliders do best in a
colony, and many like that better, how they normally choose to live. BUT many have
single gliders, I have even read that a big breeder from another site that has many gliders spent much time over and over to put a male with her lone female, only to
have the female reject them all (and this person has a long history with gliders)
so her female live happily alone.
We have added gliders together 6 or 7 times, all successful. but this last time
we tried adding 2 to our 6. and the alpha male of the 6 would not allow the two
in, after 2 tries it was clear he was not going to let his colony be increased.
and we did scent training for about 2 to 3 months.

having protection on your hand is a good idea until you feel he won't bite.
washing hands before you handle him. give him more time to get used to you.
pet him during day in pouch, see what he does.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders