GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sick Glider Extremely Underweight
Health related
Apr 19 2020
10:07:37 AM
Hello all,

Currently one of my gliders(Gideon), a 9-10 year old male is acting extremely ill. I originally adopted him from a family that had him for about 1 year, so he has been with me over 8 years. They had purchased him from pocket pets. He lived with 2 of my other gliders who have unfortunately since passed away. I adopted 2 more gliders and have attempted to introduce him with no success, he is very aggressive to other gliders (Even after 1-3 months of scent swapping)

He's always been on the smaller size for a male but I noticed over the past month his weight has been plummeting and his fur is really thin and oily. He started vomiting and dry heaving. His pouch is covered in dry vomit spots every morning. He only weighs 78 grams.

I rushed him to my exotic vet who suspected a hairball (he has had one before because he loves to lick his cage sets) She took xrays and found nothing except he had a lot of stool, but noticed he was pooping fine. She gave me an antibiotic suspecting an infection, an anti nausea and HPW she said I am to syringe feed him 2-3 times a day. (Him and my other two gliders are on the BML diet.) He still eats his dinner but hes not gaining weight and usually vomits it up.
He has no UTI and no parasites were present in his stool. My other gliders are perfectly fine and healthy.

Sorry for the long post, I am just wondering if anyone else experienced anything like this in a glider? I spoke with a local breeder who I received both my other gliders from and she suggested possible cancer, as she had seen these symptoms in one of her gliders before he passed.

He just looks so sad. You can see and feel every bone in his body and his ears are droopy most of the time. But with him still eating and running in his wheel and acting normal half the time Im unsure of what to do.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders