GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Help needed reintroducing gliders
Question
Jun 04 2020
08:20:22 PM
Hi all,
I’m in a bit of a pickle and it’s a long story so please bare with me. My godparents had given me two gliders about two years ago. A little while after they were settled in we introduced a leucistic girl. There was no fighting at all and they all got along quickly. One of my original two ended up having joeys in her pouch that the breeder didn’t know about so we ended up with 5. Everything was fine and my leucistic girl even helped take care of the joeys. I currently have 4 girls and one of the joeys was a male so we had him neutered.

A little while after I noticed a big patch of missing fur on the back of my leucistic’s neck. We immediately separated her from the others. It was probably just a food related scrabble as I didn’t have enough feeding dishes at the time. However, we had to separate her for quite some time while it healed. I have a big double cage were you can either put a divider in the middle or take it out. So we split up the cage with the divider and kept the leucistic alone, though she could reach through the bars to the others. However, now I can’t seem to reintroduce her back into the group of 4. It’s been months and I don’t want my girl alone but they always get into a fight anytime I put them together again. I’ve tried swapping pouches, they can still see and touch each other, and the leucistic seems like she wants to be with them so badly, but it always turns into a fight.

My leucistic always seemed to be submissive to the others if that makes any difference.

Is there anything I can do?
Question
Jun 25 2020
11:43:05 AM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
Put the neutered male in with her in her half and let him acclimate to her for a few weeks - he's going to be the most submissive. Once that happens add one of the kids - keep going until you get to the mother who'll be the most 'feral' of the group, but by that time she'll have no support from the others and normalcy will return.

IF by any chance you reach a point where the newly introduced Sugar Glider fights her a lot and won't calm down, skip that one and go to the next. You may end up with two 'colonies', just make sure she has at least one Sugar Glider with her - they need companionship...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat