Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Raw bald spot on male glider
Health related
Jun 29 2020
07:39:06 PM
I just took in a new male glider who's bald spot hasn't filled in since he's only recently been neutered, and his bald spot is super red and irritated. My sister said it didn't start until about a day and half after his bonded cage mate was accidentally swapped with one of the other gliders one of her friends took in (it's a long story, but basically mama and baby went to her friend instead of the two babies). I'm meeting her friend to swap out the gliders in the next day or two, but it's obvious he's missing her, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I can do for him to A)keep it from getting worse or help it heal and B)help him feel more comfortable until she's home. It seems like something minor right now, but I know with gliders it can go from nothing to something quickly. I'll try to get a picture later if I can, but he's not super comfortable yet and I'm trying to give him some space to adjust to being in a new place (he is still in his old cage with his other cage mate for the next few days before introducing him to my gliders)
Health related
Jun 29 2020
07:55:43 PM
JHoldsworth Joey Visit JHoldsworth's Photo Album 11 Posts

Health related
Jun 30 2020
05:25:17 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello,
I think you should bring him to the vet. You can buy Vetericyn which is an antibiotic spray sort of like Neosporin, but for animals. Any time your glider has an open wound infection is a concern. To me that looks like a wound now. Maybe check your cage very carefully for something he may have scratched his head on, something sharp or rough.

Good luck!
Keep us updated.
Health related
Jun 30 2020
06:05:25 PM
Thank you! I have an email out to a vet now. I’m going to be cleaning their cage tonight, I will definitely go through it and look for anything sharp. I left their cage alone when they got here yesterday to avoid over stressing them, but with his head looking like that I want to make sure everything is as clean as possible. We’re getting his bonded cage mate back Thursday, so hopefully that will help his stress level go down too.
Health related
Jul 02 2020
05:23:57 PM
We went to the vet and luckily no infection. Got some ointment that he hates having put on. We also got his bonded cage mate back today, so hopefully his stress level will go down some. Best guess was self inflicted over grooming due to stress. Now we can focus on getting my two gliders used to the new three so we can begin introductions without worrying so much about poor Leo’s noggin.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders