Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Live meal worms and multiple “complete” diets
Food, Diet
Jul 01 2020
04:05:44 AM
This is my first post, so hopefully I’m not asking something which has been answered already. I am fairly new to gliders (I got two a few months ago and two more last week before unexpectedly ending up with four more today who needed an emergency home.)

A. What’s the deal with live meal worms? Are they better than freeze dried meal worms for some reason? Are they stinky?

I have been feeding freeze dried meal worms, but the last person I got gliders from kept live meal worms in her home and fed them apples. It grosses me out, but if it’s needed, I’ll do it.

The person that I got two gliders from a week ago does not feed meal worms at all and finds them unnecessary. I’m confused.

B. So I now have three groups of gliders which can hopefully become a colony of 8 once they are ready. Since they came from three different people, they have been on three different diets.

I know that I need to gradually make the switch to get them all on the same diet. However, diets like BML say NOT to supplement BML with other foods such as “complete” pellets. Why?

It’s very confusing to know exactly what diet is “best” and how to transition.
Food, Diet
Jul 02 2020
09:43:49 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I'll just say that mealies are completely unnecessary. For me, the motivation to farm them was because they really like them. So as a treat.

Be careful mixing boys and girls. They will mate. Babies are cute and fun and a LOT of work and they multiply faaaaast. It's getting more difficult finding homes for baby gliders these days, so I recommend avoiding babies.

Food, Diet
Jul 02 2020
05:32:10 PM
WhiskersNC Starting Member Visit WhiskersNC's Photo Album 8 Posts
Thank you @kazko. It is nice to find an online community that is helpful as opposed to hateful (I recently stopped using certain big social media platforms because it seems like so many users send make fun of each other's questions).

There is no concern that there will be any babies. I have:

Someone contacted me needed to rehome a family of 4 ASAP, so I now also have:

The 2 neutered males get along fine, at least for now. If there starts to be a problem, I will separate them. Everyone is in the same large cage except for the 2 youngest female joeys, who seem crabby and scared.

Since the gliders who have been given the live meal worms are very healthy looking, I think I'll provide that for them. They won't eat the freeze dried mealies.

Any "farming" tips are appreciated. I assume that I will have to keep them in the house, although I which I could put them in the garage. I don't want to attract cockroaches.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders