Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Glider does't like being picked up atall.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2020
03:59:22 PM
Iv'e had a male glider for 3 years, when we got him he was 3 years old. We got close togheter but i never picked him up, i tried but it won't work. When i let him out around 7-10 pm he is either on my desk, behind his cage or behind my closet, i regurally give him snacks when hes outside of the cage but i realised i never properly picked him up, if i tried he would runaway behind the first tight space he sees and fall asleep there.
Shy...
He also runs away when im not chrouching cause he just sees my legs from whatever tiny space hes hiding in so he can't recognize me.
I have a small sized dog that lives in my room with me (i lock him out of my room when i take out the glider) and a cat that is almost never in my room so he never met it.
i have seen on this forum reacently that scent of other animals might cause the glider to be scared, i got the dog just reacently, i always wanted my sugar glider to be in my sleeve or in my hood but that never happend. There is also alot of people who said that their sugarglides that are crabbing still jump on them (i actually never heard my glider crab in the last 2 and a half years) im losing hope since hes already really old for a glider and he might start liking me a lot less
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2020
04:16:37 PM
TeHwhatEw Starting Member 0 Posts
also a few things
1. i am ceirtan i spoiled him with snacks, he only comes to me to check my hand for snacks, if he sees i dont have them he leaves,

2. i nearly always bond (or atleast try to) when its night
i am on my breaking point of leaving him as a small decoration pet that i let out every now and then, i really cant take it anymore since i tought it would be amazing owning a sugar glider but it has to be the worst thing that happend to me so far in life. Not only the money but the fact that i got 0 payout in 3 years. YE 0
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2020
03:21:23 PM
Petarus brevicapus fan Joey Petarus brevicapus fan's Journal Norway 22 Posts
I would EXPERIMENT picking up his pouch as a bonding pouch with calming music in the background, give her or him a treat and put it down, and then move on SLOWLY from that.
Seems like a good thing to try. If u try it, make sure the music is not to loud for their sensiive ears, and make sure you do baby steps. Good luck!

But now I am the one with the question; is that compeletly dumb, or realy helpful? Thought it was worth mentioning, but really not sure if this is a post I 100% should post, kind of... Sorry... But think it is worth it... And that it might work. Really hope I'm not doing anything bad, 'cause I'm just like 60% positive. Anyone else out there able to say if this is a good thing? Just wanna help!

I put out poll asking if this is a good tip or awful!!! Sorry any inconvenience.

Here is what it was;

Poll Question:
So I suggested about teaching glider to tolerating being held; picking up his pouch as a bonding pouch with calming music in the background, give her or him a treat and put it down, and then move on SLOWLY from that.
Seems like a good thing to try. If u try it, make sure the music is not to loud for their sensiive ears, and make sure you do baby steps..

But now I am the one with the question; is that compeletly dumb, or realy helpful? Think it is worth it... And that it might work. Really hope I'm not doing anything bad, 'cause I'm just like 60% positive. Anyone else out there able to say if this is a good thing?

Choices:
OOOOH U''R SO SMART; PERFECT IDEA!!!
Please do not do that, will stress them sooo much!!!! DO NOT!
Think that is ok
Uhh.. Can I ask that question?

Will tell u the answers!!!!!

Edited by - Petarus brevicapus fan on Jul 11 2020 03:40:14 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2020
04:10:31 PM
TeHwhatEw Starting Member 0 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Petarus brevicapus fan

I would EXPERIMENT picking up his pouch as a bonding pouch with calming music in the background, give her or him a treat and put it down, and then move on SLOWLY from that.
Seems like a good thing to try. If u try it, make sure the music is not to loud for their sensiive ears, and make sure you do baby steps. Good luck!

But now I am the one with the question; is that compeletly dumb, or realy helpful? Thought it was worth mentioning, but really not sure if this is a post I 100% should post, kind of... Sorry... But think it is worth it... And that it might work. Really hope I'm not doing anything bad, 'cause I'm just like 60% positive. Anyone else out there able to say if this is a good thing? Just wanna help!

I put out poll asking if this is a good tip or awful!!! Sorry any inconvenience.

Here is what it was;

Poll Question:
So I suggested about teaching glider to tolerating being held; picking up his pouch as a bonding pouch with calming music in the background, give her or him a treat and put it down, and then move on SLOWLY from that.
Seems like a good thing to try. If u try it, make sure the music is not to loud for their sensiive ears, and make sure you do baby steps..

But now I am the one with the question; is that compeletly dumb, or realy helpful? Think it is worth it... And that it might work. Really hope I'm not doing anything bad, 'cause I'm just like 60% positive. Anyone else out there able to say if this is a good thing?

Choices:
OOOOH U''R SO SMART; PERFECT IDEA!!!
Please do not do that, will stress them sooo much!!!! DO NOT!
Think that is ok
Uhh.. Can I ask that question?

Will tell u the answers!!!!!

Ye im currently doing it like that,i started to construct a play area and so far today i heard him do clicking noises (Or purring) while i was holding him in the pouch. The progress is going a little bit quicker.
Its an exxcelent tip but i dont think music would help, if you talk to them they will get used to your voice and then they will be aware that there isnt a predator about to eat him.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 12 2020
03:49:22 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

put your hand in front of the hand with snacks, MAKE him walk or step onto
your front hand to get to the treat. at first a step, then days later 2 steps and then days later two front feet on you. then maybe a month later make him get all the way on your hand to get the treat. Live mealworms or fish sticks best for this. I do this standing at the cage, once I have him on my arm and eating a treat, a GOOD treat, I turn away from cage so he has nowhere to go.
usually the job of eating a live mealworm means he will stay on your arm sitting and eating the treat, you can pet him, get him used to your hands.
with gliders the like to run away, I start getting VERY hands on them while they are eating a treat, pet, tail, sides. just make them suffer with having m hands all over them, over time they figure out I might be bothering them but its not worth running away. it takes time, and repeating every night you can.
this is best for night time.

for daytime, take sleeping pouch out of cage, while he sleeping, put hand in
pouch while you sit on bed/chair/couch and watch tv, just make him sleep with your hand in the pouch. I talk or sing to them sometimes. a good 30 minutes of this is good.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 15 2020
04:23:04 AM
Petarus brevicapus fan Joey Petarus brevicapus fan's Journal Norway 22 Posts
Hi.

I did say I would tell u the answers. Here they are; 2 peple voted "I think thats ok", zero voted anything else.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat