Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing two untamed gliders and two tame gliders?
Behavior
Aug 02 2020
07:43:31 PM
We have a colony of 6 gliders, 2 of which are very tame adult females. The other 4 are a bit less tame, but I can still handle them.

We also have 2 young female gliders in a separate cage which sits beside the cage the main colony is in. The youngsters are about 12 weeks old. We have been trying to get them to bond for about a month now, but all they do is crab - even when I just get close to the cage to leave a treat or hold them in their bonding pouch.

So, would it be helpful to pair the 2 very crabby 12 week old females with the 2 very tame adult females as cage mates? Or would this just stress out the tame adult females?

I could also just try putting one crabby one in first. Either way, I would keep the other 4 "kind of tame" gliders separate.

My idea behind this is that maybe the tame adult females would help the 2 youngsters calm down. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Behavior
Aug 07 2020
07:57:33 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I think you just need to put in the work with the unbonded gliders. its going
to take time and work, but that is half the fun of having them. treats and tent
time and petting.
you can put them together if you want, but i dont think it will help to much.
I have 6 in our colony and one female just doesn't like humans much, I can feed her
treats, sometimes she sits on shoulder to eat a treat, I can give her a little pet
and she only bites real soft to ask me to leave her be. usually she moves away from me and stays away unless its treat time. this lone scaredy cat is not helped by
the fact 5 other gliders are all over me, crawling, eating or sleeping.
Behavior
Aug 07 2020
09:10:33 PM
WhiskersNC Starting Member Visit WhiskersNC's Photo Album 8 Posts
Thanks for your help @byck! I'll work on taming the little crabbers more before putting them in with the 2 big girls :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders