Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing a New Cat to Suggies...Advice??
Question
Sep 09 2020
12:18:19 PM
Hello everyone!

I just recently found a stray cat, and I really want to keep her. She is healthy, young, and I am bringing her to the vet today to update her on any shots she needs. When I brought her in, she was very docile and had clearly only been roaming around for no more than a day. She has no bugs and is acting how a normal cat should. We have let her sniff around the glider's cage, and she doesn't seem to give two craps about them!

I know that gliders can co-exist, but the one issue I see is that me and my boyfriend like to let the gliders roam around outside of their cage. We live in a one-bedroom apartment, and typically let them roam in the living room, and we put door stoppers/stuffers on so they don't wiggle into a different room. But our boys LOVE roaming and finding hiding spots in any place they can after romping around for a bit, and sometimes we have trouble finding them right away... and I am afraid one day they cat will find them before we do.

I am still a fairly new sugar momma, and have a lot to learn, but am committed to giving them a safe environment, even if that means we have to give this new found cat up for adoption. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can give them a safe environment with a cat, where they can still roam around in controlled environments and not stay in their cage all day long? Any advice around the subject of cats and gliders would be helpful, thank you!
Question
Sep 10 2020
09:11:29 AM
Petarus brevicapus fan Joey Petarus brevicapus fan's Journal Norway 22 Posts
I have not met any gliders, them not being legal here, so don't take this as expert advise.

But I do think that you might want to try having your cat have a room it is in for a little while, and the suggies roam the rest of the house meanwhile. You and whoever yu live with (if anybody) can take turns giving each species attention. Maybe your new cat wants to watch fish or newborn kittens on TV ( I once had a cat who loved the last one of those), play, coze, or just be alone? You might want to put the cat's food dish and water dish in that room, and the same with her bed and cat tree if she has one, so she loves that room the best. Same with the litter box so you don't have to let her out of the room for that suddenly.

Hope this advice was to any good use. Good luck!

Edited by - Petarus brevicapus fan on Sep 10 2020 09:12:45 AM
Question
Sep 14 2020
06:01:27 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
gliders in my house have a glider safe room to live in. the cats stay
out! completely.
cats natural instincts are to get and kill. so I would NEVER let them
mix together.
cats have a large amount of bacteria in mouth, one small bite and become
deadly from infections. so I would NEVER let them mix together.

that is me, I don't risk it.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders