Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My Eitri is overgrooming... please help!
Question
Oct 23 2020
12:21:49 AM
For about a month and a half, I had to work from home during COVID (office was shut down, we are all healthy). During that time, my little guy got used to having me home. In fact, I had to quit working in the dining area where his cage is because he wanted out with me.
When I had to go back to the office, he began overgrooming and now has a sizable bald spot. We are moving at the end of the month and I already have a new, larger cage picked out and ready to order for after the move (I don't like the one he is in, it was given to me by his previous owner) and I also plan on adopting another sugar glider as a companion.
To the best of my knowledge (Eitri is 4, almost 5), he has always been a lone glider. But once he has a bigger area, I would like to get him a friend.
For now, we make sure he has plenty of stimulation and playtime. He loves his little carrying pouch so he can hang out with me while I write of an evening (if it's chilly, he likes to sit in my cardigan pocket).
The bald spot isn't getting bigger, but the fur isn't growing back yet either. Is there anything I can do to help remedy the situation until I can get him a larger enclosure and a friend to play with besides me?

Side note: The state I live in is not exotic pet friendly. I cannot find a vet in the entire state that will see a sugar glider, in person or via teleconference. One girl even thought a sugar glider was a breed of snake.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders