Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Picky Suggies
Picky Suggies
Food, Diet
Jan 05 2021
11:08:12 PM
I got 2 adult sugar gliders on Nov. 27, 2020. We are not exactly sure how old they are because they didn’t have any paperwork or anything. They were surrendered without explanation from their previous owner. My guess is that they were used for breeding and stopped making babies, so the OG was like #9996;#65039;. It’s a shame because they are so amazing. Anyway, I don’t think they had the greatest diet before me and my boy, Flóki is suuuuuper picky. He really only cares for mealworms and yogurt drops. Sometimes he’ll go for dry papaya and he used to pick a little at an apple and some nasty unmarked pellets that came with them. I have tried so many different things, but he doesn’t care for anything. Doesn’t like honey, BML, HPW, apple juice, eggs, chicken or turkey baby food, vegetables in general, 99.9% fruits, etc. Does anyone have any advice on what I can feed my baby boy?! He’s very playful, drinks water, etc. No signs of illness or anything. In fact, his fur has improved and so has his odor from when I first got them.
Food, Diet
Jan 06 2021
09:03:07 AM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Hello!

What kind of apple are you trying to feed them? My suggies absolutely despise certain kinds of apple and can't get enough of other kinds.
also try cucumber or watermelon? Exotic nutrition's pellets work well but they don't smell enticing. Pocket Pets has delicious smelling food but it's outrageously expensive.
Grape Tomatoes are yummy too! AS well as grapes themselves.
You can try the Leadbeaters diet. but if he doesn't like eggs or honey he probably won't go for both together...
Food, Diet
Jan 07 2021
10:28:03 AM
Dkmcw Starting Member 4 Posts
Hi!!
Thank you for replying! I am stumped!
I tried green, which I didn't expect him to like since those aren't sweet and I've tried red delicious. The first night I had them he ate two little slices of apple, but idk what kind that was. Neither of them like tomatoes. He won't eat cucumbers either. I tried the Exotic Nutrition Glider Complete and he just picks the dried papaya out of it and leaves the pellets. I haven't tried watermelon or grapes; haven't had watermelon handy and I heard grapes were too high in phosphorus for them. I will be sure to try watermelon and fresh papaya. I just want to make sure he gets proper nutrients.

Edited by - Dkmcw on Jan 07 2021 10:29:05 AM
Food, Diet
Jan 07 2021
11:57:18 AM
Grapes as a rare treat can be very good. I give them red grapes every once in a while for a special treat. Try Pink Lady apples or HoneyCrisp. Mine ADORE honeycrisp (as do I) and can't get enough of them. Blueberries? does he like blueberries? Watermelon gets devoured by my suggies no matter how large the piece is that they get. I'd say to look at the Pocket Pets food. At the very least get a small bag of it and try it. I'll keep thinking of other foods to try! Keep me updated! (You can message me privately if you want. I try to check here often.)
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2021
09:16:39 AM
I tried Pink Lady apples last night, Flóki didn't care about them. He didn't even attempt the blueberries. I tried mashing up a few dried mealyworms (small) and sprinkling them on eggs and also put little chunks of mealyworms in there. He ate some of that! I only put like a total of 4 worms in there because I read that I have to be careful with those as well.
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2021
10:47:23 PM
Still no apple... hmm.
Let me think for a bit... he could very easily just be stressed from the change which can mess with their diet horribly. Mine have been *almost* ignoring their food due to a vet visit this past weekend. They're back to eating normally again for the most part. But stress hits their diet strongly. Don't give up! You're a very good suggie parent for trying and being willing to try.
Food, Diet
Jan 09 2021
03:08:45 PM
I appreciate your help so much!! Also, I don’t know how to private message haha. It’s strange because my Flóki is more laid back and likes to play a lot. I know he eats a little, but only after he plays for awhile. I think he might like kiwi!!
Food, Diet
Jan 26 2021
10:07:55 PM
vhenke Glider Visit vhenke's Photo Album 106 Posts
Try using critter love. He might like that better. If he eats eggs that's good. At least he eati g something. Can try strawberrys blackberry. And other fruits. Vegetables are good for him too.
Picky Suggies

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Picky Suggies