Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Swollen cheek! Help! Vet not really useful
Health related
Jan 16 2021
04:30:42 PM
Hi, first time in the forum and I really need some help.
May 2020 I got two other sugar gliders companions for my suggie Luna. Everything was going fine until 2 days ago I noticed that one of them had a cheek that looked swollen. I looked it up and it said that it could be a tooth abscess or something caused by fighting. I became concerned and looked up the nearest vet near me.
This morning I woke up and noticed my suggie’s cheek was even more swollen and his eye was actually not opening up properly. So i decided to go to the emergency room veterinary and have him checked out!

Ive never been to a vet so i dont really know how things usually go, but they charged $170 for “physical exam” and 70 more for an exotic vet. Its fiine with me because I want my baby to be okay and to be healthy. So I pay and wait 4 hours for him to be checked out. Then they take him in and i had to wait in the car another hour until they called me back.

When they called back they said that they don’t know what it is unless they sedate him for $200 more dollars. I was confused because I don’t understand what they charged the $170 if they didnt even check why his mouth was swollen.

They basically gave him back and I asked what can be done for him and they said they dont know and theyre putting him on antibiotics and pain meds for a couple of days. They said it could be an infection or CANCER. Aside from that, they didnt say what else can be done.

I guess what i need to know is: should i separate him from my other suggies while hes on antibiotics? Do i need to feed him anything else? Change anything in his routine? Should I just give him the antibiotics and wait to see if thats the issue, or take him to another vet ASAP?

I live in Boston and I was wondering if there are any GOOD exotic vets there that would actually tell me how to help my sugar glider.

Please any input would be appreciated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders