Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding current glider to a new family - Please help
Question
Mar 05 2021
12:42:46 AM
I have had my current glider for about a year and half. When I first got him, he was very aggressive, and it took almost 6 months before he was bonded to me. Ever since, he has of course been my little buddy.

Recently, he has been very obviously over grooming and I was told by the vet that the most likely cause is loneliness. So I adopted another family of gliders (Dad, Mom, Joey). He is neutered, so is the dad. I have been slowly and unsuccessfully trying to introduce them. My attempts to introduce them all at once ended badly with a bad fight between the dad and my current (Scratch). After weeks of trying to get him to get along with just the joey, he FINALLY let her into his pouch without any lunging or crabbing. They ran around a tent, and their cage together, and eventually cuddled into one pouch to sleep (I had 2 in that cage so they could separate if needed. When I went to feed them, I stayed by and watched to make sure Scratch didnt try and bully the joey. They ate fine together. After about an hour, I heard them fighting. It was quick, but after they separated Scratch became extremely aggressive, crabbing at the joey and even lunging and biting at my house when I reached into to pull out the other, which he NEVER does. The only thing that I can think set him off was the 2 others waking up in the cage beside him.

I really thought I was making progressive, but at this point I am at a loss. I haven't been able to find any good information on bonding more than 2 gliders at a time, and I haven't been able to find a vet with enough experience on them to give helpful advice. It really worries me seeing how thin his fur looks from the overgrooming, and I'm terrified that he will self mutilate or stop eating if I can't find way to get him a buddy. Thank you for any suggestions.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders