Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My sugar glider hasn't touched his food in 4 days!
Health related
Apr 25 2021
08:53:03 AM
My 3 yr old (as far as I know, he had 2 previous owners, one potentially could have lied) sugar glider I got around 4 months ago has hardly touched his food for 4 days. The first day or 2, he ate far less BML than normal, but he isn't eating any as of the past 2 days. I'm very worried for him. I think the problem may be his water bottle, as it is rather old and when I left out a small bowl of gliderade he slurped up half of it within a minute around 2 days ago. He still hasn't eaten since. I'm going to take him to the vet later today. He usually eats some cabbage, sweet potatoes and apples, alongside his BML.
Health related
Apr 25 2021
04:11:32 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
Has there been anything to stress him out recently? Travels, drastic changes in his environment, etc. Sometimes gliders don't eat when they're really stressed. Please let me know what the vet says.
Health related
Apr 25 2021
04:39:23 PM
KomaliMedli Starting Member 5 Posts
I got him 4 months ago and moved him out of the tiny hamster cage his previous owner had for him into a large PVC cage. About 3 weeks later I bought a healthy 10 week old female, but since he isn't neutered I kept her in a different cage around 8 inches away. That was about 3 months ago. I haven't traveled with him yet, and I have noticed his tail has thinned a lot recently. Apparently the vet that specializes in sugar gliders in my town won't be back until Tuesday. Should I go out of town to go find a vet an hour away or just wait until the vet is back?
Health related
Apr 25 2021
05:28:45 PM
It sounds like he's stressed out. Is he with the female now?
Is he drinking? If he seems dehydrated, I'd take him to the other vet right away. You can do the tent test on him to see if he's dehydrated.
Health related
Apr 25 2021
05:56:25 PM
He was dehydrated at first as he drank a LOT of the gliderade I put out, and no, he isn't with the female. I plan on waiting until she would be able to defend herself if he was aggressive towards her or tried anything I'm not prepared for. What's the tent test? Is it the thing where you lift the shoulders? I have tried to take him out of his cage before, but he always sleeps in the tunnel and is very crabby when disturbed during his sleep.
Health related
Apr 25 2021
07:35:41 PM
Okay, I would guess that he's just stressed and lonely because he isn't with her and the water bottle situation probably stressed him, too. I understand about wanting to wait until she is able to defend herself, too. Definitely have him checked out by a vet soon. :)
Yep, the tent test is where you lift the skin on the shoulders. It can be really hard to do!
Health related
Apr 26 2021
06:43:43 AM
I'm not bonded to him yet, so he isn't quite comfortable with me handling him and bit me when I tried. I will try and get him to a vet today.
Health related
Apr 26 2021
09:41:09 AM
Alright. PLease let me know how the vet visit goes. :)
Health related
Apr 27 2021
07:06:21 PM
Vet was super nice, fed him some fluids through a syringe and he ate a bit last night. The vet recommended the high protein zoopro sugar glider supplement. I'm a bit hesitant because I've read that exotic nutrition's food isn't healthy and this supplement is from them. Does anyone know if this supplement is healthy?
Health related
May 01 2021
08:46:38 PM
Glad the vet was good. :)
Not sure about the supplement. I know the food from exotic nutrition isn't healthy, but not sure about the supplement. You could see if anyone on Glider Center (glidercentral.net) knows.

Edited by - gliderloverforever on May 01 2021 08:47:09 PM
Health related
May 13 2021
12:08:47 AM
SugarGliderMum Starting Member 7 Posts
hey, so sorry to do this but I can't work out how to post my own post and I really need help with my glider. I rescued her from a bad owner and I think she's got multiple problems, I live in a country where you would not want to take them to the vet because they are more likely to hurt or kill them than help them. I have 3 other gliders in another cage and they don't really get along so she's all alone, but I dunno how to make a post so I can't really ask for help, if someone can explain this to me I'll make a post as soon as I can, my suggies are my life and I'm glad I resued her from the home she was in but I don't completely know how to help except changing her diet and giving her friends(she was in a hamster cage by herself)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders