Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Vet killed cage-mate what now?
Question
Jun 13 2021
06:44:44 AM
Two days ago at a vets office my regular vet referred me to they mixed up my gliders (they don’t look similar at all) and put Teddybear on anesthesia instead of Diva for a CT scan follow up visit. I would never put Teddybear on anesthesia if I was ever asked. Teddybear stopped breathing. They were unable to get her to breathe on her own again and her heart stopped.

After they had killed Teddybear and had been informed of their mistake they took a look at Diva. I was told Diva seemed healthy and they did not think a follow up CT scan was necessary. I wish I had then asked them “If you don’t think Diva needs a CT scan why did you take my perfectly healthy glider to have a CT scan?!” Unfortunately I was still in shock and did not think of it until later.

I am devastated but I have to keep it together for Diva. My two girls were half sisters born 2 days apart and never spent a day apart for 7 years. I’ve done what the vet said and left as much as I could the same in the cage, added all the toys to the cage, I’m spending extra time with her, and giving her lots of treats.

Other than foraging for treats Diva won’t play with anything or run on either wheels. The fist night she just sat in a corner, and last night she just stayed in her pouch. Maybe I’m imagining it but I feel like she is kinda ignoring me?

What else do I do? Is there more I can do to help Diva on my own? I’m not sure what to do about the idea of a new cage mate or how long to wait or what age the glider should be or where to get it. My sister thinks I should make the vets buy me a new glider. I’m not sure what legal standing I have to do that. Im leaving town in 6 weeks will Diva be ok boarding at her regular vet for 4 days?

I feel lost, sad, angry, frustrated, scared, and confused. How is this real and not a fictional story? I miss Teddybear and it hurts. She was the funny one of the pair. I loved seeing what antics she got up to.
Question
Jun 13 2021
11:57:18 AM
vsJewel Glider Visit vsJewel's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
Looks like I leave town in 4 and a half weeks not 6.
Question
Jun 15 2021
07:22:01 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
I am so so so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard this is for you.
I'm sure that Diva is sad and confused as well and that is probably why she is acting the way she is. I would recommend getting her a new cage mate as soon as possible. Look for another female or a neutered male that is around the same size as she is. Age doesn't matter as much as size does. If you get a joey, you'll have to wait until they are similar weights so that Diva won't hurt the joey. If you get a new glider, they should be quarantined for thirty days before being introduced, so the sooner you can get started the better.
Again, I am so sorry for your loss. If you ever need to talk about it, feel free to PM me.
Question
Jun 16 2021
08:35:20 PM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Spend time with her. Even if she is ignoring you she needs you. I lost one of my gliders a few weeks ago. Gidget (the one left) is sleeping in my pockets every day now and I am spending cleared out time to be with her every day until her new cage mate is ready to be introduced.
Question
Jun 21 2021
03:38:09 AM
Last night Diva finally ate her dinner! She still won’t play or use the wheels. I’m defiantly not being ignored anymore, she seems to want reassurance from me. Her sleep schedule is extremely erratic and she has little interest in ever leaving her pouch. I make sure to spend time with her both during the day and night.

The vets I talked with and literature I read suggested an adult neutered male had the best chance of successfully bonding with Diva. I did as suggested and found a 1.5 year old male. I will have to get him neutered. I only have experience with female gliders, and I’ve only introduced gliders once. In addition all my gliders have been babies when I got them. So I’m worried about all kinds of things. How different are male sugar gliders?
Question
Jun 21 2021
03:55:31 AM
One other interesting thing. Diva started chatting and talking to me. She never did that before. It’s kinda cool. I can imagine what she is saying because I know her so well. Just now she said “leave me alone, it’s nice to see you, and I don’t want to get out of the pouch.”
Question
Jun 21 2021
06:17:27 PM
I'm so glad that she ate her dinner! That's a good sign! Definitely continue to spend as much time as you can with her. :) That's so cool that she started chatting with you, too!
So I have had both an unnuetered and a neutered male. From my experience, the males are quieter and shyer than the females. The females seem to have more energy and are more eager to explore while the males seem shyer and more cautious. Beyond that, I haven't noticed much of a difference.
A neutered male shouldn't smell worse than the female, but they may mark more. One thing to be aware of is that all males will mate with the females even after they're neutered.
Everyone says that unnuetered males smell worse, but I never noticed much of a difference. If you have questions about the nuetering process, I'm happy to chat about that. :)
Question
Jun 23 2021
06:15:51 PM
Neutered males still mate? I don’t know how well that will go over with Diva. Diva is use to being the boss I’m not sure how that aspect will effect things. Bummer that the males are more shy.
Question
Jun 24 2021
10:16:40 AM
Yes, they do. I have a nuetered male who is incredibly shy and NOT dominant at all, but he still mates with the female. She doesn't seem to mind, but she has been with him for her whole life, so it may be different with Diva since she hasn't been housed with a male. But the mating only happens once a month.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders