Sugar Gliders
Help please :) Just need some information
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 10 2021
12:33:29 PM
Hi all,
i hope all is well?!
I found this website yesterday. We went and picked up 2 beautiful gliders. We've been researching them for 3 years as that's how long we've been wanting them but was never in the financial position to purchase or feed them (Glider's are fairly rare in the UK. We had to travel 3 hours for them)
Most breeders were selling them for £500 each. When the people who have done their research would know they have to go in pairs. when a few years ago. Breeders were doing 450 for two and so on.
So we thought we would get them from this pet shop we found. Now, i know you should always look at rescue but this isn't an option in the UK. As i feel some people may understand.
Their cage was horrendous. We got a baby and an adult. They said she was around a year. The adult and the baby had just come out of her mother's pouch a week ago.

The information i need is how would i know if the glider is the mum. We asked if she was and they replied with "We don't know" which i thought was atrocious. They're being VERY crabby which i know is normal. But the adult is more than the baby.
We would like to know if she is the mother but we don't know how. I have tried to research this but it's all "How to breed" nothing on how to know if she has had a baby.
Thank you to anyone in advance and i do apologise if this is the wrong place. I'm just getting my footing on this webpage :)
Thank you,
Danny :)
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 10 2021
04:55:24 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
No worries, you are in teh right place. :) Congrats on your new gliders.

Sorry, I'm slightly confused about the question. Are you wondering which of the gliders is the mother or are you wondering if the glider is the mother of the other one?
If it's the first, could you post pictures of both of them? And if it's the second, sadly, there is no way to really know if the glider is the mother or not without the lineage, which I'm guessing the pet store does not have. It's really frustrating - I know because I had something similar happen with my gliders.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 10 2021
05:05:51 PM
DVRKASSASSIN Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you! I'm so happy we have them. I'm scared they may not like me aha. There's me and my partner who will be bonding with them.
Yes, i wanted to see if she was her mother as they will REALLY snuggle with Jynx above the baby. When they're together Jynx will crab ALOT more than the babe. I do love them though. I know people say they're not ideal pets but they are my kind of pet aha :)

Thank you for the help. Jynx's pouch is quite large but i am unsure if this is the normal state??
I posted that too early. Thank the ability to edit aha.

I wasn't sure if there was also a way to tell if they have had a baby which could make it possible :)
But we did think they may have kept the mum for further breeding
Thank you for the advice. No amount of research can prepare you for everything :)

Edited by - DVRKASSASSIN on Jul 10 2021 05:11:58 PM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2021
01:56:39 PM
I promise you, they will bond with you and love you - it just takes a lot of time and patience! Haha, yes, I know a lot of people say that they aren't ideal pets, but to me, they are some of the best.

Could you get a picture of Jynx's pouch? It's likely that she has joeys in there. If she was housed with an unneutered male at the pet store, it's very likely that she got pregnant before she came home to you. I used to be a hobby breeder, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the breeding process and baby development, etc.

Oh yes, that is so true - research can't prepare you for everything! I learned that the hard way. With gliders, you learn a lot by experience, trial and error.

I'm attaching some pictures of my girl Dreamer when she had joeys in her pouch. The first one is about fifteen days before the babies came out, the second is three days before the babies came out.

I hope this helps some! I'm here to answer any more questions you have. :)
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 11 2021
04:04:42 PM
DVRKASSASSIN Starting Member 3 Posts
Hey,
I appreciate that! Thank you, I'll get you a picture when possible. They're still in the process of settling. They won't let us get them out their little log.
We're not experienced enough for any babes yet but what happens. Happens. It'll still be an exciting process. it's currently 10pm so it's fairly early for them I'd say. They made a huge interest in their wheel. Stayed up till 5am with them.
I'm nocturnal myself aha

She'll be out at some point tonight. I'll nab a picture as soon as i can :)
I'm glad i found this place :)
Need to get myself a bonding pouch. The ONE thing i forgot to purchase -_-
Thank you!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 12 2021
12:49:44 PM
If it turns out that she does have joeys, I'll be happy to walk you through the process as best as I can. Let me send you a PM that has my personal email. You can contact me there (or on here haha) if you have any questions.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 12 2021
07:28:59 PM
Muffin Starting Member 2 Posts
I all, I hope all are well and safe, I need some advise from y'all, just bought my baby muffin back 2weeks ago, trying very hard to bond with him this 2 weeks, bring him to tent just me and him, he is ok when I put my hand inside his sleeping pouch and even fall asleep when I started to pet him, but whenever I bring him out inside the tent just me and him, he will kinda run and freeze at a corner for like a good 20min than I started to offer my hand over he will climb to me and jump off again, he will still bite me now and then, I'm confused if he is comfortable with me or rather am I doing right? In my country its illegal to have sugar glider as pet, so I hardly get another baby to accompany him, I will spend most of my time with him in bonding pouch whenever I can and bring him out into a tent to play at least 1hrs a day, hope to have some advice, greatly appreciated.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders