Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bounding question
Bounding question
Question
Jul 30 2021
10:13:32 AM
Hello I have two sugar gliders male and female.
I got them on may 9th and they were about 1month old
They were both very skittish and male had crabbed about a month.
It took a while to not crab him even though i got them when they were baby.
I basically tried almost everything that I can do.
Feed them leadbeater on my hand, gave them some treats occasionally, having a tent time, during the days I hold them in bounding pouch.

It seems like they have got better but not really bounded.
Whenever I tried to pet him he runs away, during night time when i got home and tuned on the light they both run away.
And the worst thing is boy not only run away he hide behind the wheel so I can’t touch him. So recently I’ve tried hold him a lot and he started crab again i guess i was being aggressive
I know I shouldn’t be impatient but sometimes i got so frustrated.

Is this normal? And is there any gliders that being held?
What should i do bound with them more?
Question
Aug 02 2021
06:46:14 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
gliders like the dark, you say you "turn on the lights and they run." try keeping it dark and have a treat.
I have a treat container, I shake it so it rattles with the treats inside. the gliders get used to the sounds then start to come to you to get the treats.
Question
Aug 03 2021
07:00:13 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
All gliders will crab when you first get them - even if they are babies. I promise you, your gliders WILL bond eventually. It just takes a lot of time and patience. Don't give up on them!
Like BYK_Chainsaw said, gliders don't like lights and they'll hide when it comes on. If you turn on a dim lamp in the room that they're in, they'll be much more comfortable around you.
Bonding pouches, treats and feeding them from your hand are all great things! Keep it up. Do tent time as often as you can. I had a male who was incredibly skittish and I didn't know how to bond with him. What I ended up doing was standing by the cage every night and talking to him through the bars. I waited until he was interested in me, came up to the bars and then I opened the cage doors (in a glider safe room w/ the door closed) and I put my arm in the cage and waited for him to come to me. It was a month or so of doing this before he even ventured to stand on my arm. But I kept doing that and now he is comfortable hanging out with me. Gliders aren't really cuddly and they don't like being "held" in hands. But they do enjoy crawling on your arms and shoulders and torso. :)
Bounding question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bounding question