Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Breeding trio- mom and daughter
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 03 2022
01:14:40 PM
Has anyone ever done a breeding trio with a mother and daughter? We are currently trying one. The daughter just had twin boys one week ago and they are doing great. The mom had 1 joey in pouch that came oop last night. I found him on a shelf by himself last night. I gave him to her and she took him and went into a pouch with him. Everything seemed fine. Now this morning, I can't fine her Joey anywhere! I'm trying to figure out what happened. I'm thinking that she may have cannibalized him. She has had 2 successful sets in the past (different dad). So I know she is a great mother.

I'm just trying to figure out what the most likely cause is. I'm thinking there was something wrong with the baby. But now I'm concerned about the breeding set up.

I have 5 total. 2 neutered males, 2 females, and an unrelated male. They are all very sweet and loving. Have never shown aggression toward each other. I don't see the daughter killing the baby... ?

I'm just really bummed right now. I know I'll probably never have the answer. But I'm just looking for input.

Thank you!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 05 2022
08:33:10 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
I'm sorry you lost the joey.
It is possible that the mom cannibalized him. I had an awesome glider who was a wonderful mother but cannibalized one set of twins. It's possible that there was something wrong with the joey. It's also possible that the daughter did it for whatever reason.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 07 2022
11:35:27 AM
Queenk44 Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by gliderloverforever

I'm sorry you lost the joey.
It is possible that the mom cannibalized him. I had an awesome glider who was a wonderful mother but cannibalized one set of twins. It's possible that there was something wrong with the joey. It's also possible that the daughter did it for whatever reason.

Thank you for your response. He is definitely gone. I'm thinking there had to be something wrong with him. Mom is perfectly fine with the daughter's babies. She is great little grandma to them. I'm sad that it happened, but I guess that's just nature. If it happens again, then we'll have to make a decision from there. <3
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 07 2022
06:14:44 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
I'm so sorry. :( It's always hard losing joeys. I hope that it doesn't happen again. <3

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders