Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing gliders
Introducing gliders
Question
avatar
Mar 07 2018
11:45:10 AM
I got two suggies separately. And now i would like to introduce them.

I have a female who is 13 weeks OOP
I have a male who is about 37 weeks OOP


How much longer should I wait before letting her near him physically?
A couple more months?
 Look what I found on Ebay
Question
avatar
Mar 08 2018
04:35:50 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Face Hugger Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 942 Posts

You should follow the introduction procedure first.
it is available on several websites including this one.
(at work, don't time to look it up, but I posted 3 sites available
on a post just a few weeks ago.)

pls do a web search. several items are important for introductions, swapping
pouch, neutral territory introduction, neutral new cage.

We do everything in 4 to 6 weeks.
2 weeks pouch, scent training, 2 weeks cage close together and continue scent training.

gliders a territorial and will fight badly if not properly scent trained.
Question
avatar
Mar 13 2018
03:22:47 AM
Caelsis Starting Member Visit Caelsis's Photo Album 7 Posts
I've done all that, I'm just wondering if they're too different in sizing. (I guess i forgot to write that)
I've read all of the guides on introducing gliders. Just wondering about the size difference.

They never crab at each other.

Any time i've had them out of the cage at the same time out of pouches they've just walked all over me and smelled in each others general direction.
Question
avatar
Mar 13 2018
11:42:03 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Face Hugger Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 942 Posts
my wife put the colony together with different sized gliders. Mary the smallest female is the biggest bully. Gus the fit male that is not fat can sometimes get aggressive from time to time, but no fights, just some short chasing the fat gliders.

I think nothing wrong with waiting, as long as you continue to keep the scents mixed. But sounds like you could try the tub/introduction. IF they fight (ball up) then separate immediately. IF they spat, hiss, quick tsting at each other, then you can let introduction continue and hope they work it out. Have a clean pouch available and after a 5 or 10 minutes if they are not fighting you could give them the pouch and see if they go in together and sleep. Also, there will probably some dominance going on, with male climbing over the female.

So, we didn't have problems with size.
Research Information
avatar
Mar 15 2018
10:13:39 AM
vollerei Starting Member Visit vollerei's Photo Album 5 Posts
From what I've read, another thing to take into consideration (if the male is intact), is that a sexually mature male paired with a non-sexually matured female could potentially cause issues with premature mating before she is ready. Again, it doesn't happen every time, but there is a chance of it, so it's just something to consider. Other than that, pouch swapping, move cages closer, and I've found the nuetral ground for first time meets works best in the bathtub. Different room from where their cages are, they never play in there, perfectly nuetral.
Question
avatar
Mar 19 2018
09:25:02 AM
Caelsis Starting Member Visit Caelsis's Photo Album 7 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by vollerei

From what I've read, another thing to take into consideration (if the male is intact), is that a sexually mature male paired with a non-sexually matured female could potentially cause issues with premature mating before she is ready. Again, it doesn't happen every time, but there is a chance of it, so it's just something to consider. Other than that, pouch swapping, move cages closer, and I've found the nuetral ground for first time meets works best in the bathtub. Different room from where their cages are, they never play in there, perfectly nuetral.



Oh no, i made sure he was neutered before i got him. I've had them loose around eachother a few times during tent time. Yesterday and today are the only times they actually went near each other. She walked up and started grooming his tail, and then climbed on his back. They sat together in a pouch today (he climbed into her bonding pouch, and cuddled. But i got scared and separate d them because he kept putting her ears in his mouth and putting teeth against them.

And it scared me >_<

She never made a noise except a little hiss at him when he sat on her, lol. But i'm nervous. It's my first try bonding gliders, my other sets came as sets (twin females, and a neutered lion male and a standard female set)
Question
avatar
Mar 19 2018
09:27:25 AM
Caelsis Starting Member Visit Caelsis's Photo Album 7 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

my wife put the colony together with different sized gliders. Mary the smallest female is the biggest bully. Gus the fit male that is not fat can sometimes get aggressive from time to time, but no fights, just some short chasing the fat gliders.

I think nothing wrong with waiting, as long as you continue to keep the scents mixed. But sounds like you could try the tub/introduction. IF they fight (ball up) then separate immediately. IF they spat, hiss, quick tsting at each other, then you can let introduction continue and hope they work it out. Have a clean pouch available and after a 5 or 10 minutes if they are not fighting you could give them the pouch and see if they go in together and sleep. Also, there will probably some dominance going on, with male climbing over the female.

So, we didn't have problems with size.



He climbed all over her in a bonding pouch today
I had them both in fresh unzipped pouches, and he climbed into hers, and they sat together grooming each other for a while.

I'll probably wait to put them together in a cage until the end of the month, just to be safe, haha

I also think it's super funny Mary is the bully lol
Question
avatar
Mar 19 2018
06:08:16 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Face Hugger Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 942 Posts
great.. but if you have a clean cage the instructions I have seen suggest NOT
separating them after a successful intro. put them together, they should be fine, I would try to stay up late the first night and watch them awhile and maybe sleep close to cage.
Question
avatar
Mar 20 2018
05:16:08 AM
Caelsis Starting Member Visit Caelsis's Photo Album 7 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

great.. but if you have a clean cage the instructions I have seen suggest NOT
separating them after a successful intro. put them together, they should be fine, I would try to stay up late the first night and watch them awhile and maybe sleep close to cage.



Okay, thank you!
 Look what I found on Ebay
Introducing gliders

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing gliders