Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Flying Squirrel
Flying Squirrel
Pictures
Jan 11 2009
05:04:11 PM
Sandi from Michigan found an animal in her house today and asked for help in identifying it. As is usually the case in the North East, I pegged it as being a flying squirrel. Size and markings are very similar to a sugar glider but a dead give away is certainly the flat, wide, feathered tail.

She said it was rather tame so we wonder if it was somebody's pet. She is wondering what she should do with it. I think they are interested in possibly keeping it.

These are Sandi's photos:

All of these photos below are from photobucket and have a flying squirrel in them:

Information
Jan 11 2009
05:13:32 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Sandi just told me that her husband got nipped by the animal and barely broke the skin, but the nurse is suggesting that he go for rabies series since it is an unknown animal. I suggested that she do some quick research first because I dont even think a wild squirrel can carry rabies. Maybe a local wildlife person might have a good answer. Probably better safe than sorry, but a rabies series???
Pictures
Jan 11 2009
05:29:18 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
I found this:

No. All rodents have something in their DNA that does not support the Rabies virus- scientists are not exactly sure why. There has not ever been a documented case of Rabies in a squirrel. The most common species to carry the virus (besides pets) are skunks, raccoons, bats, and opossums.

I'm pasting in a passage taken directly from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website:

Small rodents (such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and chipmunks, ) and lagomorphs (such as rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States. Bites by these animals are usually not considered a risk of rabies unless the animal was sick or behaving in any unusual manner and rabies is widespread in your area. However, from 1985 through 1994, woodchucks accounted for 86% of the 368 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC. Woodchucks or groundhogs (Marmota monax) are the only rodents that may be frequently submitted to state health department because of a suspicion of rabies. In all cases involving rodents, the state or local health department should be consulted before a decision is made to initiate postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).

For more information about rabies in rodents and lagomorphs, see: Childs, J. E., Colby, L., Krebs, J. W., Strine, T., Feller, M., Noah, D., Drenzek, C., Smith, J.S., & Rupprecht, C. E. (1997). Surveillance and spatiotemporal associations of rabies in rodents and lagomorphs in the United States, 1985-1994. Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 33(1), 20-27.

But wait a minute, I thought that rats could carry rabies. At any rate, rabies is seasonal. It is a summer thang.

Edited by - dizzysmom on Jan 11 2009 05:30:06 PM
Pictures
Jan 11 2009
05:58:07 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
How cute!!! Having them side by side you can see there is quite a difference in they way they look.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 11 2009
06:01:56 PM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Yes, very different and yet remarkably alike. I never knew a flying squirrel would be so tiny!
Pictures
Jan 11 2009
07:17:24 PM
Roz Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Roz's Photo Album USA 902 Posts
I got to see my first squirrel glider when Anita Rae Trucker brought her baby Bullet to the Miami Sugar Glider Group meeting...she hardly ever takes him out so we were thrilled. He was adorable..seems he found her after a hurricane went through her area (mims, Fl)....lucky little guy is living the high life now...Anita has 2 suggies I believe ones 10 and ones 9..had them since they were little...

Anyone going to the Austin Tx meeting in Feb be SURE to seek her out. She is going to be one of the guest speakers. For those not aware Anita invented the stealth wheel that everyone swares by...VERY QUITE...

Anita has made the trip south to attend two meetings so far (it is a 4 hour drive)..she loves us!!! Anyone in mid Florida that might want to come contact her...maybe you can drive together..we have LOTS of fun, very informative, sharing information and experiences and we do the neatest crafts for our suggies..a extra is the food...everyone brings something and we PIG out...

Sandi tell hubby to keep body parts from the mouth of your little guy..lol..it was scared I am sure...maybe after a bit of time he can be handled easier....he sure is a cutie...and looks so commpy in his pouch..better then being outside in the cold and snow for sure.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 11 2009
07:21:33 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I hear that the flying squirrels, especially babies are pretty tame for being "wild"

I'd suggest giving it to a wildlife rescuer. Usually in the case of flying squirrels tame doesn't always been its been captive.
Flying Squirrel

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Flying Squirrel