Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
What To Expect From A General Vet Visit
Health related
Apr 11 2012
03:32:23 AM
What should I expect from a general glider check up or wellness visit?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2012
01:13:36 AM
fox0r Face Hugger Gliderpedia Editor Visit fox0r's Photo Album USA 496 Posts
Bring fecal samples in case they don't go at the vets. I would also ask for a urinalysis.

Vets will look them over, listen to their heart rates, and that kinda thing.
Health related
Apr 13 2012
09:25:25 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
...and don't let them sedate them to do a simple exam. If they can't do it without sedating, get a new vet!

Take some treats with you so they can have a goodie. I've never had a problem with any of mine giving a "fresh" stool sample at the vet...

If you have a female your vet should take a look at her pouch to make sure all is well and you should get a current weight.

They'll look at eyes, ears, listen to heart...some will try to look at the teeth...NO TRIMMING GLIDERS TEETH! If they mention it, RUN!

My vet, as she held Ariana felt her joints to make sure she was nice and flexible with no stiffness in her joints.

They should also discuss diet with you. Mine did and she even "quizzed" me on cage size and if Ari was a "lone" glider. When I said no, she was going to be put with my current 4 she proceeded to quiz me on intros. I could tell she was seeing if I knew what I was doing.

Not all vets go that indepth but if not, those are some things you can ask them to do, like..."hey, can you please check her joints for me, her teeth?" Anything you are concerned about....don't be afraid to ask.

You're paying this vet, they are providing you a service so you need to feel comfortable and not leave with more questions than you came with.
Health related
Apr 13 2012
10:57:34 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
ALSO, don't forget to bring extra fleece blankies for glider grabbing. Sometimes, they don't want to go back in the pouch, esp when they're in a new place with new faces, and they can smell other animals about. Makes them a little jumpy.

Bring treats to tempt them back into the pouch. Yoggies keep the best but mealies are the best bribe!

Maybe bring a water dish with you, too? Never know when they might get thirsty.

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2012
06:01:06 PM
lilangels Super Glider Visit lilangels's Photo Album 315 Posts
You probably are not going to find a vet that is as glider knowledgable as what jazznzoey described in montana. Chances are with most vets around here you will know more about glider care than they will. The good news is that a good vet will learns along with you and may decide they like caring for gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 13 2012
06:43:16 PM
Mailie Joey Visit Mailie's Photo Album USA 19 Posts
I had an hour long conversation with the vet from the animal hospital next to Kmart. He was asking me all sorts of questions and he became VERY interested. I gave him the glider vet website and the vet to vet contact info so he could learn more on his own time. I think I addicted someone to gliders and I don't even have any yet!!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 14 2012
08:35:37 PM
fox0r Face Hugger Gliderpedia Editor Visit fox0r's Photo Album USA 496 Posts
Thats good to hear!

Oh, don't let them sedate to cut nails, either!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 14 2012
10:25:18 PM
lilangels Super Glider Visit lilangels's Photo Album 315 Posts
I called that same vet and talked to the receptionist but the vet was out of the office and didn't call me back until I had already decided to take Tinkerbelle in to whitehall. It would be nice if a butte vet took an interest.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 30 2012
05:18:19 AM
sefcxsc Starting Member 0 Posts
informative and stonic post its soo good.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 30 2012
02:40:16 PM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
Luna has jumped on the vet technician and climbed in his shirt without being invited both times we've gone. If your gliders like to go down shirts, I would warn the person handling them it might happen. Thankfully Aaron, the vet technician, has helped raise gliders before and wasn't phased by Luna and her need to snuggle in peoples' shirts.

Oh, and my vet gave me literature on potential diets, sugar gliders in the wild, health concerns to watch out for, cages and toys, etc the firs time we went. All of it matched up with the research I've done, so it made me feel really good. There have also been exotic pets (as well as dogs and cats) in the waiting room each time we've gone, and that makes me feel good too. Obviously my vet cares for much more than just dogs and cats (the most common pets).

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires