Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Crabbing
Crabbing
Question
Jul 29 2012
01:39:31 PM
i just brought my gliders home and they have only been in the same cage for two days. The ride home in the pouch was good and then I put thier pouch in thier cage and now they are crabbing at each other. Should I just let them crab or try to take one out of the pouch and put him in a different pouch?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 29 2012
01:51:42 PM
nolaglider Super Glider Visit nolaglider's Photo Album USA 243 Posts
Were they a cage mated pair when you purchased them? Or were they 2 singles in separate cages? If they were cage mated when you purchased them they are probably just fussing with each other and they should be fine as long as you dont see any visible biting, scratching, hair pulling etc. If they were separate when you purchased them proper intros still must be done even though they came from the same breeder.

They also may be both crabbing at you since they are in new surroundings.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 29 2012
02:36:48 PM
susie0711 Joey 19 Posts
They were in seperate cages. They are fine new and sleeping in thier pouch.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 30 2012
12:51:21 AM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
It would probably still be a good idea to go through introductions, but if you don't have two cage setups and can't do that, I would suggest getting a second, and maybe a third, sleeping pouch. That way they don't have to sleep together if they don't want to. I would also keep an eye on them.

I went through introductions recently, and I've always given the girls two or more sleeping pouches, two water bottles, and two places to eat at night. I figure that way there's nothing for them to fight over; they each have their own of everything. They only ever used one of the water bottles, so I took the second out, plus it was a little leaky. The ALWAYS sleep together in the same pouch (although they switch pouches every couple of nights), but I always make sure they have two pouches that each have enough room for two gliders. And they always eat from separate food bowls, so I just make sure to have the same amount of everything in each bowl. Granted, they may eat from each others' bowls when I'm asleep, but I've never seen it happen.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 30 2012
08:45:35 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I re-homed 2 female cage mates and still provide several sleeping options incl: 2 pouches 1 hammock. They have the option to sleep separately or move around and sleep together, but they mostly pick 1 pouch and that's it. They've changed their favorite sleep spot 3x already, every time I gave or made something new, with the exception of the no-sew hammock I made them, they didn't seem to care for it, I took it out for a while and will try it again later.

Back to topic (sorry),

They weren't cage mates then, but did they come from same breeder?

I would definitely follow the recommendations already given, keeping a really close eye on them, but would add that it wouldn't hurt to get a second, temporary type set up for incase you may need to separate them, then reintroduce. Also it doesn't hurt to have a secondary cage anyway. This could be one that is a good size to use when cleaning main cage, as well as a clinic or travel cage if ever needed. If the circumstance arises that you need to separate them temporarily and reintroduce, you can alternate your gliders in the cages after a few days. It would be similar to pouch swapping, but you would let 1 glider stay in temp cage for about 3 nights, then the other for a few nights, so each glider is in with the other's scent. By the time this is done, they will have both of their scents in the home cage and then you can give them a couple of days or so before cleaning cages. Or let them both sleep in the temp cage while you clean the home cage and get it all fresh for the 2 of them.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jul 30 2012 08:47:41 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 30 2012
11:44:22 AM
susie0711 Joey 19 Posts
It seems like they are OK. I do have two sleeping pouches and two bowls for fruit/vegs, two bowls for HPW, and two water bottles. I saw them this morning roaming around the cage and then they both went into the same pouch and I didn't hear any crabbing. Hopefully this is all good signs. I am keeping an eye on them. They did come from the same breeder just in different cages.
Crabbing

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Crabbing