Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toy Tutorial #7: Ball Pits (More of a guideline than a tutorial)
Pictures
Aug 30 2012
05:40:41 PM
All too often I hear people ask, "What goes in to a ball pit?" Well, it's all up to personal preference. But here are a few ideas.

For starters, chose your ball pit container. Big or small--or, WHY CHOOSE? Go for both for variety.

YOU CAN... be a Purist and use traditional materials here: Wiffle Balls, golf balls, an actual ball pit ball from a kid's ball pit, Easter Eggs big and small!

(Here it is assembled:)

YOU CAN...make a toy bin using rubber duckies (and other rubber animals),rings, bracelets...

YOU CAN...have a ball pit using JUST POM POMS (*Caution: make sure to test your pom poms to ensure they do NOT pull apart. Also, NO SMALL pom poms, as these, too, can be a choking hazard. Use sizes medium & large pom poms only!)

Don't forget you can use these great materials, too! The plastic shapes, army men, semi-rings, and of course, the plastic tooth fairy treasure chest which is PERFECT for foraging!

YOU CAN...toss everything I've listed together in one big bowl as a floor toy!

OR you can create one of these shelving toys and do a different layer for each, for a truly textural experience! OMG, different stuff on EVERY LEVEL! (It will blow your suggies' minds! Use with caution...too much fun can be had here for all involved!)

So...have fun and don't be too shy to experiment a little.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 30 2012
05:55:38 PM
baby.girl Face Hugger Visit baby.girl's Photo Album USA 544 Posts
very nice.where do you find the heart shape links cause i hadnt had any luck?
Pictures
Aug 30 2012
06:06:31 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by baby.girl

very nice.where do you find the heart shape links cause i hadnt had any luck?

Heart shaped links come in a pack with the stars and flowers, usually found at the Dollar Tree/Store or if you don't mind spending the extra cash, Party City. You can find them near the girl's party favor section, or kids crafts as it's supposed to be used for girl's linking jewelry to make things like necklaces, belts, bracelets and the like!

If you're tired of shopping around with no luck, you can always order them online either at Gliders and Gear or the Sugar Glider Store .
Pictures
Aug 30 2012
06:13:06 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I found a few hits on Ebay for Heart links . And it looks like you can even order these from Toys R Us. Amazon has Heart and Star Link Chain by US Toys.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 02 2012
10:58:12 AM
C Fia C Glider Visit C Fia C's Photo Album USA 148 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing this!! My babies didn't quite love the ball pit I made them and decided it was more of a bed....lol. But I'm going to try again!

One question.....where did you find the yellow chain you have in the tiered picture? It looks like those would be great for hanging things from the cage and I'm always afraid to get anything that might pinch or have edges they could easily get caught on.

Thank so much!
Pictures
Sep 02 2012
02:26:09 PM
TheHomermomma Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit TheHomermomma's Photo Album 1332 Posts
I also use fleece scraps.
Pictures
Sep 02 2012
05:42:51 PM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by C Fia C

Thanks so much for sharing this!! My babies didn't quite love the ball pit I made them and decided it was more of a bed....lol. But I'm going to try again!

One question.....where did you find the yellow chain you have in the tiered picture? It looks like those would be great for hanging things from the cage and I'm always afraid to get anything that might pinch or have edges they could easily get caught on.

Thank so much!

Whenever getting the kids to try out a new toy, I recommend throwing treats in there. BE SNEAKY! A few meal worms and they will hop right in and wouldn't you know it? They'll make a habit of checking it out in future for MORE meal worms! Also, give it time. Sometimes, I think they "bond" to a new toy about as much as they bond to each other & us.

As for the links, they are called Link N Learn Links--though we often refer to them as C Clips or C links. You can get them at any Educational Toy Store, like The School Box or online here: http://www.schoolbox.com/Link-N-Learn-Rainbow.aspx?CategoryID=76 If you don't quite need THAT many, you can get them at Gliders and Gear (one of my fav places to order toy parts from!) http://www.glidersandgear.com/TOY%20PARTS.htm and various other places on line. Just Google Link N Learn Links & see what pops up!

And..you're welcome!
Pictures
Sep 02 2012
05:43:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TheHomermomma

I also use fleece scraps.

Fleece scraps is also good. I sometimes toss them in with the pom poms or silk flowers to give them more options.
Pictures
Sep 03 2012
11:03:57 AM
C Fia C Glider Visit C Fia C's Photo Album USA 148 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by RChurch

Whenever getting the kids to try out a new toy, I recommend throwing treats in there. BE SNEAKY! A few meal worms and they will hop right in and wouldn't you know it? They'll make a habit of checking it out in future for MORE meal worms! Also, give it time. Sometimes, I think they "bond" to a new toy about as much as they bond to each other & us.

As for the links, they are called Link N Learn Links--though we often refer to them as C Clips or C links. You can get them at any Educational Toy Store, like The School Box or online here: http://www.schoolbox.com/Link-N-Learn-Rainbow.aspx?CategoryID=76 If you don't quite need THAT many, you can get them at Gliders and Gear (one of my fav places to order toy parts from!) http://www.glidersandgear.com/TOY%20PARTS.htm and various other places on line. Just Google Link N Learn Links & see what pops up!

And..you're welcome!

lol...I suppose I don't need to say it but Thanks RChurch!!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 03 2012
12:04:21 PM
Lisa10e Super Glider Visit Lisa10e's Photo Album 213 Posts
Very cool, thanks :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders