GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Feeding Gliders pellets
Feeding Gliders pellets
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
08:48:50 PM
Hi,

Our little girl Izzy had her first visit to the vet today and everything looks good. The vet said she is very healthy, looks great, and is the "best behaved" glider she's ever met (we've heard this before from others).

She asked about her diet and I told her that we feed her the BML diet. She didn't know what it was so I explained the ingredients and feeding regimen. She told us that, in the professional community, there is still a lot of debate as to what makes the best glider diet and to be careful about diets we read on...damn, I can't remember the exact word she called it, but she was referring to websites like this. She may have called them amateur, I don't remember exactly. I was a little unimpressed with this remark because, from what I've read, the BML diet comes from someone who has been breeding and raising gliders for years.

The vet also said we should include pellets in her diet (we actually do, we give her 4 or 5 a night with her meal, but I forgot to mention it). But she almost made it sound like we should just feed her lots of pellets. Ultimately she said whatever we're doing is fine because Izzy is very healthy.

We've decided we're going to stick to the diet we're giving her, but change how we feed her a little. The idea is to feed her like we've been doing each night minus the pellets (we don't give them to her every night), but take out whatever leftovers there are in the morning and put a few pellets in there in case she needs a snack during the day.

I've read a lot about glider diets and thought what we were doing was pretty standard. I was surprised to hear this thing about pellets from her and thought I'd share it here and see what others thought. I do realize there is a lot of controversy over glider diets, and I'm glad we're doing a good job. But, seriously, I am never quite sure if what I'm doing is right. It is a little frustrating!

Ok, enough of my rant. Please, anyone with some thoughts on this, I'd love to hear from you.
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
09:05:04 PM
AJ79 Glider 68 Posts
After my attempt to find a diet here indent seeking elseware. I am feeding a pellet for a staple diet with fresh proteins fruits and veggies at night. And I'm not changing. I contacted suncoast who everyone loves and swears by and they told me they have no idea where this no pellet compain came from. They feed pellets and there gliders thrive and are doing very well. Their sales and stature in the community speaks volumes. They clearly know what they are doing so inam following suit
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
09:05:22 PM
GliderLove94 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit GliderLove94's Photo Album GliderLove94's Journal 1153 Posts
My vet said this too and I was also feeding BML at the time. But, she herself knew nothing about sugar gliders except for what she learned from the college books. Ask your vet where they get their information and they will probably give you a copy. I was told BML was not a complete diet and that I need to feed pellets along with it. They were not able to save my gliders from the diet they suggested. My pair of females died because the pellet staple caused them to be malnourished.

The books out right now are very outdated, which hopefully we can find someone in the community to help get this fixed. If you are uncomfortable with this vet, you may want to consider finding a new one that is knowledgeable about them. That's what I did. My new vet specializes in exotic animals and has an assistant who owns a pair of males. They spoke of Raptors, Stealths, BML, and more things that I was familiar with. Some vets are not up to date with gliders like they are. They showed me their books and they were ridiculous, they only mentioned leadbeater's diet and pellets.

We can help you find another if you'd like. Where are you located?

Many vets around here are exposed to MANY mills and breeders who get their gliders from breeders. You could point out the diets certain zoos feed or that the BML diet was created by someone whose gliders have lived very long lives. BML is a great diet, don't let amateur vets get you confused.

Edited by - GliderLove94 on Mar 25 2013 09:12:50 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
09:08:11 PM
AJ79 Glider 68 Posts
Wholesome balance is the best staple food available. It is the only human grade staple food that uses no soy and no fillers. Many of the staple foods use fillers or inferior proteins like soy and wheat middlings. I have no idea where the idea of never feeding a pellet food came from. We've been doing so since 1999. People used to believe that feeding pellets would cause a condition in lumpy jaw because of marsupials were prone to lumpy jaw. But in fact, lumpy jaw is a condition of grazing animals. So its not a matter of marsupials being prone to this condition, its about grazing animals being prone to the condition and some marsupials, like wallabies, are grazing animals. I would never risk feeding my gang anything unsafe and Wholesome Balance is part of the daily regimen around here. And I would never recommend anything that I would not use with my own. This is a great product developed professionally and based on science. A lot of glider breeders develop their own diet concepts. We do not. Unless one is degree'd in nutrition we do not think they are qualified to do such things. We realize our lack of qualifications there and rely on the professionals to steer us in the right direction.

Actually this is their exact text they sent me copy and pasted.

Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
09:16:32 PM
arcwind Glider Visit arcwind's Photo Album 136 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by AJ79

Wholesome balance is the best staple food available. It is the only human grade staple food that uses no soy and no fillers. Many of the staple foods use fillers or inferior proteins like soy and wheat middlings. I have no idea where the idea of never feeding a pellet food came from. We've been doing so since 1999. People used to believe that feeding pellets would cause a condition in lumpy jaw because of marsupials were prone to lumpy jaw. But in fact, lumpy jaw is a condition of grazing animals. So its not a matter of marsupials being prone to this condition, its about grazing animals being prone to the condition and some marsupials, like wallabies, are grazing animals. I would never risk feeding my gang anything unsafe and Wholesome Balance is part of the daily regimen around here. And I would never recommend anything that I would not use with my own. This is a great product developed professionally and based on science. A lot of glider breeders develop their own diet concepts. We do not. Unless one is degree'd in nutrition we do not think they are qualified to do such things. We realize our lack of qualifications there and rely on the professionals to steer us in the right direction.

Actually this is their exact text they sent me copy and pasted.

But Suncoasts primary business is in sales of their products, both gliders and pellet foods
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
09:21:08 PM
AJ79 Glider 68 Posts
Agreed. But it works for them and their gliders ate healthy and beautiful. So they must work.
My baby girl loves it. She eats her plate of fresh foods clean. And eats the pellets. If something changes and it doesn't seem to be working i will change. But for now I am following their advice. Yes they are pushing their product but their not ppp. Any business no matter who or what they are pushes their own products. Even breeders. For me with their pellets the proof is in The pudding
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
10:36:27 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The major difference is that the Wholesome Balance is not the Only or Primary source of protein when use as part of SunCoast's feeding plan. Their diet includes a protein source, fruits, vegetables, vitamins and a calcium supplement ALL in addition to leaving some pellets in the cage.

Many folks use a pellet as a small part of their overall feeding by leaving them in the cage during the day in case their glider wake up looking for food.

The problem with pellet foods is the use of Pellets to provide all of the gliders nutritional needs because pellets are just not adequate or appropriate for this use. The folks specializing in selling mill bred gliders and a 2 year supply of pellets to be fed with a slice of apple each day - use the 'easy' to feed as a sales ploy - not in the best interest of gliders.

I stopped leaving any pellets in my cages because 1) my gliders never get up during the day looking for food unless I disturb them cleaning the cage - then I hand them each a treat and they go back to sleep 2) my gliders think the Wholesome Balance are toys to be throw around. The pellets do make my dogs happy - they like to clean them up off of the floor after the gliders have played dodge ball with them all night.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2013
10:39:10 PM
kidsmom32 Glider FL, USA 77 Posts
Mine wont eat pellets at all. But I was thinking about putting an order in with suncoast for more vitamins and calcium and a few other things.
The pellets I have are from the petstore and the previous owners gave them to me probably not the best?
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
10:44:21 PM
AJ79 Glider 68 Posts
Yes. And I'm not just feeding the pellets. In feeding fruits veggies and proteins as well each night
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2013
10:56:20 PM
angelmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit angelmom's Photo Album USA 2002 Posts
AJ79- you need to add protein, chicken, turkey, eggs... Theres a reason they're classified as "small carnivores" in some Australian texts. They're also sap suckers, so a dry pellet is doing nothing for them.

Pellets are generally equal to potato chips, sure youre glider eats it- because they are filled with sweet sugars and additives to MAKE them taste good.
Food, Diet
Mar 26 2013
04:35:03 AM
AJ79 Glider 68 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by AJ79

Yes. And I'm not just feeding the pellets. In feeding fruits veggies and proteins as well each night

It says fresh protein in my posts as something offered nightly
Food, Diet
Mar 26 2013
08:18:20 AM
ajn007 Starting Member 6 Posts
Interesting comments here.

And I was kind of referring to something I had often heard in my research, that a diet based on pellets is bad. One thing the vet brought up after I listed the ingredients of the BML mixture was the fat content of it. That's what she was mostly concerned about, and said she didn't know what was in the baby food that is in the mixture so wasn't sure. But she never told us to stop feeding this to Izzy. She just told us to feed her more pellets.

I got the BML plan from www.angelfire.com/nb/sugarglider/. In addition to the BML mixture, the plan includes fruit, veggies, and worms nightly. While we do feed the mixture, fruits, and veggies nightly, we change up the types of fruits and veggies and sometimes add pellets to the dish maybe every other night. We do not feed her meal worms nightly. We were doing this for a while but did notice she was gaining weight. So we cut it down to one big, fat one every other night or so. But, damn, she literally starts jumping around with joy when she hears us pick up the container of worms.

The thing we've mostly noticed, though, is that she seems to eat more when her dish has different things in it each night. For a while we just fed her the same thing every day and noticed that, as the days went by, there was more and more food left in the bowl in the morning. It was also rough when we first started the diet. But she seems to have settled into this diet, is eating well (we literally wake up to a clean plate every morning), and by all measures now is a very healthy glider.

I am a big foodie. I love food. I love cooking, and love eating good food. I'm trying to do this for my glider too, because she deserves as good a life as I can provide. I'm really thankful to everyone who has posted here because the more I learn about other people's experiences and opinions on the various aspects of raising a healthy and happy glider, I feel I'm doing right for my little one.
Food, Diet
Mar 26 2013
09:37:25 AM
AJ79 Glider 68 Posts
Basically be it hpw bml pellets or anything else if its working for you and your suggies then go with it
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2013
08:33:18 AM
SuggieMama89 Joey Visit SuggieMama89's Photo Album 28 Posts
I feed my gliders Judie's BML Diet. I also keep a mix I made of almonds, unsalted peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit mix, raisins and sugar glider pellets. I keep this available at all times in case they wake up and need a snack. Mine don't seem to enjoy the pellets since they never seem to be touched. But they love the seeds. I've only had my gliders for 3 weeks but they came from a home where they were fed dog food and hot dogs entirely. Their behavior has changed and they seem to be slowly getting better coats. So far no harm has been done but I am keeping a watchful eye out.

By the way if anybody notices that I am adding something in the mix that I shouldn't please feel free to tell me. Like I said I'm a first time glider owner and have only had them for 3 weeks.
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2013
09:26:17 PM
Avbjessup Face Hugger Visit Avbjessup's Photo Album USA 768 Posts
I've heard mixed opinions on raisins. I don't give them to mine, just in case. I wonder how dried cranberries would be?
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2013
10:55:20 PM
angelmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit angelmom's Photo Album USA 2002 Posts
grapes and raisins are known to cause organ failure in some animals so they're generally a no for pets/gliders.

cranberries are safe to feed, so feeding them dried as a treat should't be a problem!
Food, Diet
Apr 03 2013
07:53:54 AM
DebC810 Glider Visit DebC810's Photo Album USA 166 Posts

I stopped leaving any pellets in my cages because 1) my gliders never get up during the day looking for food unless I disturb them cleaning the cage - then I hand them each a treat and they go back to sleep 2) my gliders think the Wholesome Balance are toys to be throw around. The pellets do make my dogs happy - they like to clean them up off of the floor after the gliders have played dodge ball with them all night.
[/quote]

LOL, yep pretty much the same here
Food, Diet
Apr 03 2013
08:01:04 AM
AubreyBarto Super Glider GliderMap Visit AubreyBarto's Photo Album AubreyBarto's Journal USA 351 Posts
I'm having a hard time following the main question

My Two Cents: I bought Wholesome Balance and I love it. I read the ingredients on their website and totally approve. I don't include it in their meal but I always keep a few in their cage. I usually find some crumbs from time to time. Lulu eats them more than Echo but Echo eats meal worms and Lulu refuses, so they both have their preferences. I don't see anything wrong with including pellets as long as you don't depend on them. I think they can help and I can see why your vet suggested them.
Food, Diet
Nov 03 2015
01:01:40 AM
Tiffzcraft Starting Member 3 Posts
Hi Everyone...I have also been doing research for years and found this rather old discussion.

In short... Here's what REALLY WORKS for my now very healthy sugar glider:

Refill When Gone (about every other day)

1 prepackaged cup of GERBER baby food (never get "meal" foods...just veggies and fruit mixed with water *warning NO GARLIC OR ONION.

1 small handful of Vitakraft Vita Smart Sugar Glider Food....Yes they are pellets, but the ingredients are all fruit and proteins.

Don't be alarmed if your sugar glider leaves flakes of the pellets in the bowl...they are getting what they need.

Always have the food and fresh water available to them.

Note* watch out for calcium build up on their water dispenser, that may keep them from getting a drink.

Now some background. I got my sugar glider from a pet shop. I should say he got me. There were a few people checking the gliders out, and he stayed in the corner until I got there....Then he hopped onto my shoulder...and the guy at the pet store thought I brought him in with me to ask questions. He was a rescue. He has a messed up foot and tail...which makes him less active too. This diet makes him look so healthy...nice fur...not fat! He's so much happier now too...he's even willing to take more risks like venturing out upside down on ropes. He was skin and bones when I got him, and his fur was so matted.

Another quick note: Unscented baby wipes are great for sponge baths...NEVER put a sugar glider in water!

Anyway, I just thought you guys could use some more current and affordable information.

:) PS...when I stopped MAKING him come to me...after a few months, he comes now because HE wants too.

Here is a picture of my baby Marvel :)

Food, Diet
Nov 03 2015
03:55:21 PM
quote:

1 prepackaged cup of GERBER baby food (never get "meal" foods...just veggies and fruit mixed with water *warning NO GARLIC OR ONION.

1 small handful of Vitakraft Vita Smart Sugar Glider Food....Yes they are pellets, but the ingredients are all fruit and proteins.

Welcome to the Forum.

I have to comment on a couple potential problems I see with this diet. You can continue it if you feel it is best for your glider, but when others read this thread I want to clarify a few things for them, and for you.

If you are using baby food as your gliders only fruits and vegetables - you are forcing him to eat the insoluble fiber from the fruits and vegetable that gliders often selectively SPIT OUT because is is not very digestible. When eating whole pieces of fruits and vegetables gliders chew and mash out the liquids and nutrients and often spit out little moon shaped pieces that they do not need to consume.

They cannot do this with pureed baby foods so they are ingesting more fiber than their bodies require.

Most gliders like to have small pieces of fruits and vegetables that they can pick up and eat - they do not need all of their foods in a liquid state. They have teeth and need to use them.

The Vita-craft pellets are not a great source of protein and are largely fillers.

You have not said how long your glider has been on this feeding plan. It may be OK short term but not provide the nutrients - especially calcium - your glider needs long term.

Now my other concern is that you are mixing the baby food with the pellets and leaving it in the cage as long as TWO DAYS. You are running a real chance of your glider becoming ill due to bacteria growing in the baby food mixture.

It should not be left in the cage at room temperature any longer than 8 hours. Once the glider takes a lick or two of the mixture - BACTERIA and SALIVA is introduced into the food. The BACTERIA will begin to multiply and the SALIVA will begin to break down - digest - the food causing spoilage.

If you wish to feed your glider this way - put only the amount he will eat over night into the cage in the evening - and remove all leftover food in the morning. Most gliders do not wake up to eat during the daytime if they have been presented with the foods they need to meet their nutritional needs overnight - they eat primarily at night when they are awake and active.

Food, Diet
Nov 03 2015
09:37:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Candy

quote:

Welcome to the Forum.

I have to comment on a couple potential problems I see with this diet. You can continue it if you feel it is best for your glider, but when others read this thread I want to clarify a few things for them, and for you.

If you are using baby food as your gliders only fruits and vegetables - you are forcing him to eat the insoluble fiber from the fruits and vegetable that gliders often selectively SPIT OUT because is is not very digestible. When eating whole pieces of fruits and vegetables gliders chew and mash out the liquids and nutrients and often spit out little moon shaped pieces that they do not need to consume.

They cannot do this with pureed baby foods so they are ingesting more fiber than their bodies require.

Most gliders like to have small pieces of fruits and vegetables that they can pick up and eat - they do not need all of their foods in a liquid state. They have teeth and need to use them.

The Vita-craft pellets are not a great source of protein and are largely fillers.

You have not said how long your glider has been on this feeding plan. It may be OK short term but not provide the nutrients - especially calcium - your glider needs long term.

Now my other concern is that you are mixing the baby food with the pellets and leaving it in the cage as long as TWO DAYS. You are running a real chance of your glider becoming ill due to bacteria growing in the baby food mixture.

It should not be left in the cage at room temperature any longer than 8 hours. Once the glider takes a lick or two of the mixture - BACTERIA and SALIVA is introduced into the food. The BACTERIA will begin to multiply and the SALIVA will begin to break down - digest - the food causing spoilage.

If you wish to feed your glider this way - put only the amount he will eat over night into the cage in the evening - and remove all leftover food in the morning. Most gliders do not wake up to eat during the daytime if they have been presented with the foods they need to meet their nutritional needs overnight - they eat primarily at night when they are awake and active.

I am not one of those people who goes off because of a debate on the internet...Actually I appreciate that you care about these babies and want to help...also thank you for welcoming me to the forum :)
I would like to contest a few issues you mentioned though...

1. Vitakraft isn't the same as most pellets...The ingredients are actually more substantial than most.

2. Gerber food - even pureed....things like apple and oranges would still produces small pulp...not good for retail sale...I image these foods are boiled and juiced...where the peels would come right off in processing.

3. Bacteria in the food:...I wouldn't go above 3 or 4 days...but Gerber isn't sold refrigerated....also...Sugar Gliders have natural enzymes to break things down (they are sap suckers and foragers - I garuentee he's built to handle a little bacteria from his own tongue.)

4. His teeth...the pellets are solid for his teeth, but sugar gliders aren't like gerbils and beavers where they have to wear them down....in fact they are more like lemurs.

Additional note: something I forgot to mention before....Wooden pellets with no additive make a great, non-odorous, easy-to-clean solution for bedding.

Again...I am not trying to combat you Candy...I appreciate you bringing these issues up. Thank you :)
Food, Diet
Nov 03 2015
09:40:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffzcraft

quote:
Originally posted by Candy

quote:

Welcome to the Forum.

I am not one of those people who goes off because of a debate on the internet...Actually I appreciate that you care about these babies and want to help...also thank you for welcoming me to the forum :)
I would like to contest a few issues you mentioned though...

1. Vitakraft isn't the same as most pellets...The ingredients are actually more substantial than most.

2. Gerber food - even pureed....things like apple and oranges would still produces small pulp...not good for retail sale...I image these foods are boiled and juiced...where the peels would come right off in processing.

3. Bacteria in the food:...I wouldn't go above 3 or 4 days...but Gerber isn't sold refrigerated....also...Sugar Gliders have natural enzymes to break things down (they are sap suckers and foragers - I garuentee he's built to handle a little bacteria from his own tongue.)

4. His teeth...the pellets are solid for his teeth, but sugar gliders aren't like gerbils and beavers where they have to wear them down....in fact they are more like lemurs.

Additional note: something I forgot to mention before....Wooden pellets with no additive make a great, non-odorous, easy-to-clean solution for bedding.

Again...I am not trying to combat you Candy...I appreciate you bringing these issues up. Thank you :)

Oh....and I forgot to mention...yes this picture was taken this year...I've had him on this diet since I've had him...so about three years I think...He's looking good :)
Food, Diet
Nov 03 2015
09:44:33 PM
quote:
I wouldn't go above 3 or 4 days...but Gerber isn't sold refrigerated.

It may not be sold refrigerated - but the container states Refrigerate After Opening.

Good luck with your glider. I hope he does not have any health issues down the road.
Feeding Gliders pellets

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Feeding Gliders pellets