Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Letting gliders out
Letting gliders out
Information
Feb 22 2014
05:12:30 PM
I really would like to bring out my sugar gliders and let them run around in my room, but I just got them about 3 weeks ago so they aren't really bonded just yet and I'm just scared that they would run off and hide somewhere and then they wouldn't come out when I had to put them up. Everytime I open their cage they come running to the door and they try to climb out.
Information
Feb 22 2014
05:13:47 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
At least them running to the door to get out is a good sign that they trust you enough to run to the door when you open it.
Information
Feb 22 2014
10:23:37 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Do you have bathroom you can "glider proof"? Close drains and toilet. Make sure there are no cracks or crevaces they could crawl into and get stuck and put a towel under doors. Or you can pickup a two man boyscout pop up tent from walmart for $25 or so.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Feb 22 2014 10:43:30 PM
Information
Mar 30 2014
11:06:57 AM
melinda Joey 21 Posts
The best way to start is going through your room and gliderproofing it. And time out must ALWAYS be supervised! My babies have had ' Romp Time' for 3 years now! And its the best exercise and mental stimulation for them! You have to get them on a routine where they know the rules. They WILL stick their noses into everything, that's why you have to be there to watch. Mine will play hard for a few hours, take a nap in a favorite hiding spot which I know about, then get a second wind for another go-around! I also have treats available and cricket chase times for them. I leave the cage door open so they can get food or water anytime. They have a designated back to cage time, and are like kids in that respect, I have bribes to get them back when being rebellious, but most of the time they'll go back on their own...
Information
Mar 30 2014
01:37:31 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
We have had our gliders since August, and still haven't let them out to run around. We're scared they'd disappear and not be able to find them. They can be so fast if they want to be.
Information
Mar 30 2014
02:15:52 PM
Kothy Starting Member Visit Kothy's Photo Album Kothy's Journal 9 Posts
I have had my girls for two years, I glider proofed the bathroom for them, We spend every morning from 5:30 Am till 7 AM playing in there, I have set up some challenges for them and they love it. There entire dispositions have changed when I started this, They LOVE to fly and climb up the door molding and dive at me. I know where a hooded sweatshirt as I am the landing platform. It has really helped with the bonding also. They love it. I have a deep enclosed bath tub that I put crickets in and they just love to chase them.
Information
Mar 30 2014
07:45:00 PM
limbo the sugar glider Glider Visit limbo the sugar glider's Photo Album Brunei 155 Posts
does anyone let theyre gliders out in theyre glider proofed bedroom?
Information
Mar 30 2014
11:37:33 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Limbo - many people do let their gliders play in a whole room but they should only be out of the cage when you are able to watch them closely every second.

There are many hazards such as getting behind furniture or under the bed where you cannot reach them.

It is difficult to 'glider proof' an entire room because there are many places a glider can hide. They can also crawl under any door that is more than 1/2 inch above the floor to escape the room or get into a closet.
Information
Mar 31 2014
05:17:35 AM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
Mine have always had playtime in a bedroom. There's very few pieces of furniture and nothing under the bed. I stay in there the whole time and supervise. I also have baby outlet plugs in all the wall sockets and put things that may be harmful in the closet. Additionally, I stuff a towel under the door so there's no escaping. My babies love having such a large space to romp and play. Not everyone can do this. For some the bathroom or a tent is a better option. You have to figure out what works for you.
Information
Apr 06 2014
02:35:16 AM
melinda Joey 21 Posts
I have a special noise i make that means treats to them, I use that when I want to count noses! Shaking the treat jar usually brings them running, too! Letting them out has such rewards, its 3am now and little Pip just helped me fold my laundry, and Baby wanted to help me read my book... but you also have dangers, also! One time, I accidentally closed Baby in a dresser drawer until she started crabbing to be let out, and Pip ran under my foot once which resulted in a panicked trip to the vet! Luckily he was fine...
Information
Apr 08 2014
01:37:12 AM
lynnrn02 Joey Visit lynnrn02's Photo Album 26 Posts
I love my tent. I purchased it from K-Mart for $30. I have toys hanging from the top that they can climb and swing from. I take a bean bag in and read a book or play on my I-phone while they play. I just kepp it set up in their room. It is easy to sweep and clean. Remember gliders will poop and pie on stuff.
Information
Apr 09 2014
11:49:48 AM
yellowsnow343 Starting Member 1 Posts
The best thing to do with you baby sugar gliders, is if they are out of the cage do not let them leave your body for the first 3 months. you want them to think that their cage or you are their safe place. when my sugar gilders were young I did not let them leave me or the cage for the first 4 months. They are over a year old now and I let them run around my house. As soon as I walk in the room they are in, they run to me because I am one of their safe places.
Letting gliders out

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Letting gliders out