Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
PVC Cage process
PVC Cage process
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
02:59:54 PM

Alright so this is the cage!! These were taken this past saturday, so I have way more done!(Just so everyone knows I have added 2 extra pvc pipes on the top to have more support for hanging toys, I will post more pictures of it when it is done, I will probably do a video aswell.
I just have to net the top and two sides and I will be done!
I have 3, yes 3 locks on this puppy so there is no way they are getting out of this thing, 2 of the locks are eye and hooks which are tight so the gliders can't push them up, I can barely push them up! lol then the third lock in the middle of the door is eye and hook BUT it is spring loaded so you have to move the spring thing then lift!
I tried using pliers to tighten the zip ties to save my fingers but it doesnt seem to work well for me. Maybe I'm not using them right lol
Any suggestions are welcome!
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
03:01:05 PM
Munchpuff Glider Visit Munchpuff's Photo Album 80 Posts
Forgot the dimensions! It is 6ft tall 6ft wide and 5ft deep!
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
03:11:33 PM
tsugie Super Glider Visit tsugie's Photo Album 370 Posts
It looks great!
I wish I had the space for a cage like that!

I'm sure your babies will LOVE it!
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
03:17:12 PM
JessPuck Glider Visit JessPuck's Photo Album 144 Posts
Oh my gosh so jealous!!! Is this going to be their full time cage? I want to do something like that for my babies this summer maybe.
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
03:17:48 PM
lancegtx Glider 194 Posts
The cage looks great. Im sure your gliders are going to love it. Ive gotta ask tho... How are you going to get it outside to clean it?
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
03:39:03 PM
Thanks!
I can't wait to get it done! My cage set from Sarah's Suggie Shoppe will be here in a couple weeks and I am SUPER excited to deck it out!
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
03:41:09 PM
It comes apart pretty easy.
Yep it is their full-time cage!
I'm still ordering the Genji for tent time.
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
04:20:06 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
Very cool, but have fun washing it.
Pictures
Feb 25 2014
04:33:32 PM
Yeah cleaning will be a chore but it will be so worth it to see my babies have such an awesome cage!
Pictures
Feb 26 2014
05:49:36 AM
JessPuck Glider Visit JessPuck's Photo Album 144 Posts
It'll definitely be work it! I want to do something very large like that oneday and then for cleaning put them in their "old cage" which is their cage now. I think I'll wait until they're bonded though because trying to catch a sugar glider who doesn't want to be caught in that thing does not sound fun haha maybe this summer :) keep posting pics and pics of it decked out! I can be jealous over in canada and love vicariously through you :P
Pictures
Feb 26 2014
01:31:00 PM
Yeah I was thinking of just buying a good sized cage at first and then make one later but I decided just to build it now lol.
I have a regular sized cage for them when I clean then a travel cage for taking them to the vet.
Everything so far has cost me over $300.
It is expensive but I look at it this way, a non home made cage that big would cost thousands! so I think 300 is a good deal.
I used 6 rolls of the netting, over 2000 zipties last night I did the other two sides so all I have left is the top which will be done tonight thank goodness!! My fingers/hands hate me.
My hands have no rest because my job is being on a computer all day typing!
lol
I will post updated pictures after work!
Thanks for all the comments guys!
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
01:34:58 AM

I don't know why the pictures are all side ways... any ways this is in the process! I got the wheel yesterday and I'm in love with it! David did a wonderful job and I will definitely be a returning customer!
the cage is done now I will take a picture of it and post it. Now just waiting on my awesome cage set from Sarah and I will start to decorate this beast!
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
01:37:01 AM

Still side ways but it's done! :)
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
07:41:07 AM
BCChins Super Glider 219 Posts
Probably a little late sorry:

You can buy a tool at Lowes or home Depot maybe even a local hardware tore for tightening the cable ties. It also cuts them but not nice and close.

Not sure if it would be worth it but maybe you could buy a steam cleaner and the place a shower curtain under the cage and do weekly steam cleans to keep it clean so you do not have to take it apart and outside??

Nice cage BTW what are the measurements of it?

I am planning on making one as a tent time cage sooner or later!

OH wait maybe you could build them to sell then ship them in panel form....I am betting people would buy them providing shipping was not an arm and a leg!
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
02:15:09 PM
I probably will buy a steam cleaner. I used wire cutters to cut the ties really close.
its 6ft tall 6ft wide and 5ft deep lol
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
03:53:42 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The cage looks great but cleaning is going to be a big project.

What is the flooring under the cage? It looks like carpet.

If it is carpet you may want to invest in a piece of linoleum to put under the cage itself to protect the carpet from waste soaking into it.
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
04:08:59 PM
So huge, the gliders are going to love it. OH and I agree with Candy you need put something underneath so that it does not soak up urine, poo, and food. Plus much easier to clean.
Pictures
Mar 02 2014
04:31:27 PM
Yep! Im getting some on Friday :)
Pictures
Mar 03 2014
09:59:34 AM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
Awesome Cage! Your gliders will love it. To save my fingers, I used pliers to pull the zip ties tight. Be sure to turn the cut ends toward the seams where possible, them darned cut ends are sharp as knives and will scratch the heck out of you. You could also go around and carefully burn them to smooth the sharp edges but that will take forever.
Pictures
Mar 03 2014
01:49:52 PM
oh yeah! before I bought little wire cutters to cut in to get the little stick out parts I got a cut up my leg! Yeah I moved all of them into the seams of the pipe, they are all cut do so if you run your fingers down the ties its smooth I'm getting my furr butts next friday! Super excited!
Pictures
Mar 04 2014
07:00:01 PM
Beaker Joey 17 Posts
Great looking cage, I'm looking into doing something like this myself... any suggestions on where to find the netting? I've looked around but I second guess everything I look at and I have not been able to find any netting that seems suitable..
Pictures
Mar 04 2014
07:16:35 PM
The kind I bought Is Blue Hawk brand Hardware netting. It is all plastic.
I bought it at Lowes, they also have it at Home Depot either in the garden center or lumber yard. the rolls are 36in in 15ft rolls I believe.
here it costs 17 a roll.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_157763-13113-751397_0__?productId=3457514&Ntt=hardware+netting&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dhardware%2Bnetting&facetInfo=

There is the link.

Goodluck!
Pictures
Mar 09 2014
06:38:08 PM

I will probably take a couple things out that I made once I get
my cage set from Sarah. But this is what I have done thus far :)

Question!
Should I cover the shelfs with fleece?
The shelving unit is 100% plastic suggie safe
Pictures
Mar 09 2014
07:18:11 PM
This is like a Disney land for Sugar gliders.

How amazing, it really looks great!!!!!

In regards to the shelves: You will need to put some kind of cover over each shelf, or otherwise it will fill with glider poo and pee eventually.
Pictures
Mar 09 2014
07:45:13 PM
Lol thanks!
for now is fleece okay to put over it until I get something better?
Pictures
Mar 09 2014
08:27:18 PM

Fixed it!
and easy to clean just wash it once a week.
I think this is way more pretty lol!
Pictures
Mar 09 2014
09:14:20 PM
MrDaisy Joey Visit MrDaisy's Photo Album 13 Posts
Wow, please post pictures of your lucky gliders enjoying this. It's awesome.
Pictures
Dec 09 2014
04:38:51 AM
NNYSuggies Starting Member 6 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if you could sketch a blueprint for this exact measurement along with links to where you bought the mesh, and pvc pipe? This would be a huge help. Thank you. Also if you know of an instructional video you could link too?
Pictures
Dec 09 2014
06:09:05 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Super job! You have very fortunate gliders!

Steam cleaner will help, used regularly, then also maybe take outside once or twice a year for scrub and hose down.

You don't need a tent, lol, just take a chair or put blanket (fleece) on floor and sit in there with them.
Pictures
Dec 09 2014
05:12:02 PM
bellalucysmom Glider bellalucysmom's Journal 59 Posts
Wow. That is so awesome. Lucky gliders.
PVC Cage process

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
PVC Cage process