GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
UPDATE, pictures and stories of my joey's, now 13 weeks OOP
Funny
Mar 17 2014
12:10:04 PM
Hello Everybody!
I haven't been posting much since I brought the babies home! This is because I have been so busy with them! I have a ton of pictures though that'll I'll put up today. Previously known as Aria and Ezra it's official their names are Max and Ruby. It just suits them better, she is such as ruby too lol little princess and he is just a carefree live life kind of guy and I think Max suits that type of personality (I also have a five year old little brother who loves the show Max and Ruby, he gave me the idea). Anyways, my new life with two suggies..... it's awesome. Yes a lot of work, probably even a little more than I anticipated and I was VERY prepared. It's not really work though, I don't dread it or want to get it over with I quite enjoy it. I don't LOVE cleaning out their cage everyday and washing their dishes but I don't mind it lol what I really love is tent time! It's my favorite part of the day everyday. My boyfriend and I are always so excited to get ready for tent time and take the kids out. We're both college students and busy people but we always have time for the kids. It's also convenient we don't take them out until late evening as well because by that point we're home from school, had dinner, did our homework or assignments and are getting ready to relax for the night. No better way to relax for the night than to bring out two bright eyed, bushy-tailed baby suggies that have enough energy to generate an electrical current!! SO far everything is going very smooth, their transition home went well and their transition into life with us has gone really well as well! We had one incident (first big laundry clean) where the kids were like freaked right out that I was taking everything out of their cage (even though I had everything out ,washed and back in by about 11am). They both woke up and ran around the empty cage and then when I put everything back in they wouldn't go back to sleep. I had to pick him up and put him into his pouch finally. The next couple of days they were still being weird, I had to pick her up and put her in her cage as well and we skipped a couple tent times as they weren't sleeping properly and I didn't want them becoming exhausted. But everything's back to normal and I guess they will just have to adapt to laundry day, my breeder gave me a couple tips to make it less stressful for them. They have been really good about learning their manners, and nip much less than before! Although nobody ever broke skin it was more testing like hmm this looks tasty, oops not food! Or a scared nip (she was about to fall, missed her landing a little) and I grabbed her so she didn't fall and I think I startled her and she nipped my pinky really hard (didn't break skin). They are never mean though, and don't go out of their way to bite it just happens out of curiosity usually. We have been very strict and PSSSST every time they nip and they have learnt very fast. We are able to put our hands in the pouch and pet them or feed them little treats without being crabbed at or nipped. They come out of their pouch on their own much faster during tent time now as well. Tent time has been really good as well, although they glided to our faces a couple times! And by glide it's more of a big jump as they are still learning to glide and figuring things out. We make sure we always offer a hand or limb to climb onto and have braided ropes and toys in the tent to catch themselves on as well. Max has started trying to scent mark the tent, he rubs himself on the sides of the tent but he hasn't matured enough yet to have any smell. I've been watching him to make sure I know when it's time to get him neutered. I have a few questions I'll post.

1. We have to take them out for tent time still in their pouch and then wake them up and play with them, then catch them again and put them back into their pouch for transportation back to the cage. We do this because they aren't bonded yet although they definitely are starting to bond! We are worried if we just take them on us to the tent and back they could jump off and we wouldn't be able to catch them my house is quite large and there is way too many places they could hide! Should we just continue doing this and stick it out until they are bonded and we can trust them to make the trip to the tent? It is a bit of an inconvenience and we'd like to let them wake up on their own and then take them out to play (after they've peed and pooped too!) but we're not sure how to make that happen.

2. Bonding pouches, how does one even go about that? I have a bonding pouch but I've never put them in it I've just been doing tent times. Do you wake them up by picking them up out of their sleeping pouch and putting them into the bonding pouch to hangout with you? Isn't that slightly disruptive to their sleep? Is there a better way to do it? If I wait until they wake up they won't want to stay in the pouch and will be bugging to get out so that's silly. Let me know please .

3. I hate catching them at the end of tent time to go back into their pouch, it sort of ruins the good vibe we have going. They don't want to be caught so they run away and we chase them then catch them and put them into the pouch very quickly. I do give them a treat once they're in the pouch so it's more of a positive experience but it still feels negative to me. I don't like having to catch them and quickly put them into the pouch and hold the top shut while they try their best to push it open and escape. I feel mean, like sorry buddy I know you want to play with us more but I'm trapping you inside your pouch instead. Lol just let me know any better ways of doing it if you have some.

Quick funny story to add, my breeder informed me that mom and dad of my guys are expecting joeys again, and to tell Max and Ruby they will be a big brother and big sister lol well I tell Greg that they're having joey's again and first thing he says "OMG we could adopt them too and have our own colony!!!!" hahahahah NO. That would be awesome, but I am still getting use to have two suggies... just a funny story.

Now I will attach some pictures

Funny
Mar 17 2014
12:22:33 PM
JessPuck Glider Visit JessPuck's Photo Album 144 Posts
Pictures!

Funny
Mar 17 2014
06:31:04 PM
sunglider Face Hugger Visit sunglider's Photo Album 669 Posts
Awwh thanks for sharing all the pictures.

In regards to washing all there stuff at once and it freaking them out. My advise to you is leave at least one pouch that still has their smell on it, so that they will still have their sent in the cage. You also might be washing to much and your gliders will just start peeing and marking all the more. You really only need to wash their cage down no sooner than at once a week, and that is a light wipe down. We just change paper at the bottom every couple of days or every day if it is bad.

In regards to tent time you could have your glider climb in your shirt and then walk them to their cage that way it is not as negative as trying to get them into a pouch that they really don't want to go into.

In regards to bonding pouches you could just take the pouch that they are sleeping in the cage, and then just carry them around in the pouch with you. Or transfer them into a pouch and carry them around with you. This is so that they smell your sent all the time and get used to your sent.
Funny
Mar 17 2014
10:37:53 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Yep, sunglider said it.

That's what I do too. I wash all fleece except the pouch they are sleeping in and I don't wash the cage the same weekend, and I will leave one wall/side of the cage and not wipe it down...just the rest of it and it keeps it smelling like them and then the remarking of the cage is not a big issue for them.

For the bonding pouch I use their cage pouch usually and some times I will put it in a bigger pouch with a zipper so if they start to wake up and someone decides they want out, they are contained until I can get them back in the cage. (I have 4 dogs and a cat so I have to make sure they can not get loose or away from me.)

For catching them at the end of tent time...I bring in zippered bonding pouches and treats to lure them in there. I have had to zip one or two in a pouch while catching the others. Otherwise it's usually musical gliders in and out of the pouch.

You can also set a light timer to turn on the lights bright in the room where you are in the tent and play time is over, and they may dive into the pouch to go take a nap. I try to keep the lights really dim(or use a red light or light from the T.V.) so they are more active during play time.

Your gliders are beautiful! Congrats you guys are doing a great job!

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Mar 17 2014 10:39:17 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories