Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
The Crazy Glider Lady- a Really Long Post
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 29 2014
09:06:59 PM
So, my sisters came to my house to move a fireplace/entertainment unit to storage as my new tv won't fit in it. I had apparently not locked the bottom door of Buzz and Pearls' cage and they had been "out and about" They pooped on the couch(micro-suede so cleans easily), turned over some nicknacks and got into the papaya i had dried for them.Their cage was a bit messy as they had sweet potato with their dinner and of course threw it everywhere! They swear they stink, but they don't!If anything what they smelled was a little pee as it was time to wash their cage covers but it didn't smell strong to me! Also,they got on Mings cage and marked it as well.I hold my babies up to my face and can't smell anything. Their fur is well-groomed and shiny.My sisters gave me a choice to get rid of them or they would come and do it for me! They implied I have a "problem" of the mental kind because of my babies. I don't hate them, I'm not even mad just heartsick that unless you have a glider no one understands! So, I found Pearl and Buzz a home. God- my heart is breaking! Ming still awaits a home as she is still alone- the other 2 won't accept her in their cage.
Has anyone ever faced something like this? I also have the flu so just so depressed! I wrote the new owners a 964 word document on them and sugar gliders in general in case they had any questions. Pray for me as they will be leaving on Wednesday morning. Pray their new home is a gentle and loving environment. I guess from here on out I will be a Lurker- I advised them to join here and on GC as well.
Thank You Everyone to all you have given me and my babies over the last 2 years-The advice, kind words and warm thoughts that helped me be a responsible Glider Mommy! Once a Suggie Slave Always a Suggie Slave. Love You All!!

Wendy
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 29 2014
09:41:38 PM
limbo the sugar glider Glider Visit limbo the sugar glider's Photo Album Brunei 155 Posts
about the smells, this is normal, because you have been having those suggies for a while you will get use to their bad odors too, and their musky smell, but to others that have not been near one of those wouldnt really recognise the smell, so it would seem stronger to them. and they probably said it smelt real bad because you havent washed the cage yet, was it washed?
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2014
03:02:47 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I am sorry your going thru this Wendy.

I know it's so hard to give your gliders away. I know you will find great homes for them, but I wish it didn't have to come to that.

I wish I was closer to be able to help out.

Best wishes to you and your gliders new lives and families.

(((hugs)))to you Hun, take care!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2014
06:18:44 AM
BCChins Super Glider 219 Posts
Wait a minute your sisters came to your house???? Do they live with you? Do they pay your bills?

If it was my house then I would tell my sisters to accept who I am and accept my animals. No way in in this world are you telling me in my home to get rid of them or we will. Sisters would be asked to not visit my home if this was the case.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2014
07:31:10 AM
raisnok Glider 51 Posts
i agree bcchins, i did exactly that my family had issues with me having pets as i have 4 dogs a cat a parrot 2 cockatiels and the glider and i am searching for him a friend. my family had a few words to say about them and i comment well you dont have to visit and i wont visit you, my aunt is the only one who does visit and i visit her, she likes coming over here because she says its like visiting a petshop you dont have to buy anything LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2014
09:21:28 AM
Rasaphane Super Glider Visit Rasaphane's Photo Album SC, USA 259 Posts
This is the reason why me and my husband don't let my parents come over...besides the fact that my mom pissed my husband off by claiming me on their taxes instead of doing my fafsa like she claimed she was going to do.

The whole time I lived with them my mom would complain about the smell. I could have just cleaned the cages and have it outside drying, the ferrets enjoying fresh air and sunlight and dirt and sugar gliders in my shirt and she would still claim it smells bad. But if I asked someone else into my room they couldn't smell a thing.

Family doesn't always know what's best. I would have a flare up and be in the deepest depression if I didn't have my animals
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2014
11:46:24 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I know families can be a powerful force and have a lot of influence and it sounds like her sisters are trying to help her.

I agree that they pushed too hard but I also know she has been through a lot and did not make this decision lightly.

Sometimes life happens and things get overwhelming, and while many of us don't agree with the outcome, we just have to offer support where we can.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 30 2014
01:58:55 PM
JessPuck Glider Visit JessPuck's Photo Album 144 Posts
How can your sisters just come into your home and give you a "choice" to get rid of them or they will, I'd tell my sister to lick my big toe more or less. Tell them to get out of your house if they don't like them. They are in no way your boss, I assume there is also other reasons you're getting rid of them. If your sisters saying that is the only reason stand up for yourself and your gliders and tell them to eat it!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 31 2014
10:23:03 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm so sorry, Wendy.

Reading between the lines, I know there is more here than what many would understand. Life is very complicated. I had read your post yesterday morning and as I was down on my hands and knees washing the tile around my girls cage I couldn't help but feel so badly for you...and also upset with your sisters. I'm sure in their minds they are trying to help. I wish there were some way you could work this out, our animal families are very important to us...I know for me they provide emotional healing.

It does sound like you have really done a good job of preparing their new home with all that they will need. Please take care of yourself on Wednesday...your friends will be here for you! I don't think after this length of time you would ever be considered a "Lurker". You may even be able to have good contact through here with the new family.

I don't necessarily believe that "time heals all wounds", but I do know that the hurt is less as time goes by.

(((hugs)))
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 31 2014
08:15:34 PM
mingsmom Face Hugger Visit mingsmom's Photo Album USA 511 Posts
Everyone, I literally am crying reading your sweet words of encouragement! I wish I could tell them to kiss off, but we are So Close and have been through a lot of illness (cancer) and near death. My poor sister battled cancer for 4 years and it was she who issued that ultimatum. I am So Grateful to God for her life, I do this to try to respect her wishes.I had told God I would do anything to save her, so if this keeps the peace(she's still frail after her liver transplant)so that she's not stressed, so be it.

I don't think it's really any different from owning a horse- except the horse isn't in your house-lol A barn even when clean smells of so much and any decent barn I have ever been in, I just love the smell of.
I asked my daughter if it smelled stinky in here and she just said it smelled fine. I also admit they had gotten hold of the paper towel roll I keep near my sink and that they apparently had shredded most of it that day-lol they Love tearing up paper little devils! I just hope I can get a house instead of an apartment and maybe then have a glider room, but my babies won't be there! I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to afford another Mosaic. Buzz and Pearl practically stay on me all during play time, I think it will be hard on them!
Thank You All, my very good friends. Even though we have never met I just send you all a big hug! I'm spending tomorrow making a few more toys and pouches for them to take, have to make sure they have plenty of clean snuggies. Love to You All,
Wendy
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2014
04:49:57 AM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
I understand you are doing what you feel you must. I love my sisters too. But I could not do what you are doing. This love you have so strongly should go both ways. You are giving up something very dear and precious to you, but I guess I have to look at it from the other perspective by saying it sound as though your sisters are not doing the same to you. I can't imagine how they can make you get rid of your babies if they cared about how much your gliders mean to you. You are obviously a better person than I am because I wouldn't be able to do so without holding some lingering anger about it. I don't know all the circumstances so I am in no way judging. I just hope you don't regret your decision later on. Please think it through and make sure this is what you absolutely have to do. This is not only hard for you, but will also be very hard on your gliders too. They do not understand sister dynamics. All they will know is you are not there. I'm sure if their new parents are as attentive as you are that they will be fine, just don't forget this heartache will extend beyond you. I hope your sisters have considered this as well.

Unfortunately, most non-glider owners don't get the bond that's formed between gliders and their human parents. I try to tell people all the time that gliders are not like rabbits, or hamsters, or guinea pigs. They are like children and they get very attached to us like we do to them. I know this must be very hard for you and my heart aches for yours.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 03 2014
07:34:28 AM
TigerLilly5555 Super Glider Visit TigerLilly5555's Photo Album KS, USA 299 Posts
(((Hugs)))
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 04 2014
03:40:45 PM
sleighr Face Hugger Visit sleighr's Photo Album AZ, USA 648 Posts
WOW
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2014
08:09:47 PM
mingsmom Face Hugger Visit mingsmom's Photo Album USA 511 Posts
Hey, Ya'all just thought I'd drop in, see what was happening with everyone and all your babies. Thanks, Tigerlilly and Sleighr!I never knew how much I looked forward to getting on here and reading all your posts and sharing one of my own! I'm living vicariously through you all for the most part. I still have my Ming. Finding a home for a 6 year old won't be easy, but counting on God to send the right one our way.
Ming knows the others are gone, for sure. I miss my Buzz and Pearl every day! No more "manicures" or "glider scalp treatment". No little paws planted on my face, trying to lick under my glasses. Ming just isn't that rambunctious!LOl She is a lover of naps under my hand though and that is a comfort.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2014
08:39:24 PM
JessPuck Glider Visit JessPuck's Photo Album 144 Posts
Where are you located actually ?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders