Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
please stop eating..... ur poop
Health related
Apr 06 2014
01:27:58 PM
My boy has developed a habit of eating his poop. Ive heard that animals do it for nutrients? Now this is the site i use for his food www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system#Recipe
I also give some snacks in between. Usually eggs, fruits, etc.
I really want him to stop this habit.
P.S if u already know my situation. There arnt any vets that has treated a sugar glider here where I live. I did take him to one vet, and he said lupin was fine.
Health related
Apr 06 2014
01:36:22 PM
Lupin90 Joey Visit Lupin90's Photo Album 18 Posts
Things I forgot to mention: he eats well, actually more since he's hitting past the two months part. Poop is solid, darkish brown or near black (makes at least three for one time). His fur is fine, soft. Not cracked like the malnutrition gliders.....
Health related
Apr 06 2014
02:23:47 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much you can do about this problem.

I have talked to a few Vets about this too and they agreed that most of the time it is not related to nutrition, unless the animal is locked in a cage or kennel and has nothing else to eat.

Most of the time it is a bad habit...they develop a taste for it and the habit begins.

I have dogs that will not eat their own feces but will try to eat the feces of my other dogs.

In my dogs' case...they were both pet shop dogs(yes, I know buying pet shop dogs is terrible, my son bought one and my hubby bought one...there is no going back now) But in any case...they were in the pet shop kennels and played with and ate their kennel mates(and maybe their own poop)for fun.

Health related
Apr 06 2014
11:03:37 PM
Lupin90 Joey Visit Lupin90's Photo Album 18 Posts
Thanks Minnesota zoo! I'm actually relieved that the habit didn't stem from nutrition problems.

Yes I've heard of dogs and cats doing it.Ive heard one person Got rid of the habit by adding green beans in their food?maybe I should try it too ...
Health related
Apr 06 2014
11:39:12 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
I haven't heard of feeding green beans for that for dogs or gliders, but for dogs I have heard of adding pineapple or pumpkin to their diet and that makes their poop taste bad to them.

It couldn't hurt to try that...both are safe foods for gliders.

I have tried it for my dogs and also the "Forbid" powdered prescription from the vet to put on their food and it didn't work.

If you try the pumpkin or pineapple...be very sparing with the pumpkin, it can cause loose stools or constipation if fed too much.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders