GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
The bonding process is the Devil!
Question
Apr 14 2014
09:13:35 AM
Hey guys,
so most of us spend a bunch of time interacting with our gliders. It doesn't seem very difficult to get to the point where the glider isn't afraid of your presence, will come check you out then go off and play, and jump in your palm to eat a treat for a moment.

Here is my question, (probably best for those who have fully created a tight bond with multiple gliders due to difference challenges)... What is the breaking point? What activities, or drills, or actions do you guys perform with your gliders to get them to that next level. The level where they come to you not just for treats and run off after, for example when owners put their gliders on the ground and step back and the glider runs to mom or dad truly focused.

I hope this question makes sense to the veterans on this forum, thanks for all your participation
Question
Apr 14 2014
01:47:29 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
Time, persistence, and consistency. I get my gliders out every day for at least one hour in the morning. EVERY DAY. Even when I'm off work and want to sleep in. I may not get up at 4:45am like I do on workdays, but I know mine go back to sleep between 8:30 and 9:00 so I get up at 7:00am to make sure I get their time in. Believe me, there's been days when I wanted to stay in bed, but I know they are waiting.

This took a few months, but mine run after me if I stand up or turn toward the door. They will literally chase after me if I try to get out the door before they see me. If I call to them, they will come to me. As soon as I get them out, they start making popping noises, which means they are happy. I've had my male since mid-august and my female since september 1st, so about 8 months.

When in doubt, read sentence number 1 again.
Question
Apr 14 2014
01:58:13 PM
AubreyBarto Super Glider GliderMap Visit AubreyBarto's Photo Album AubreyBarto's Journal USA 351 Posts
I don't know if this sounds weird or not, but I like to sit at their cage with my hand/ arm in their cage. Or just spending a lot of time near their cage.

When I took in Peach (a rescue, you can read about her here )

I spent a lot of time stopping by her cage and hanging out for a little bit with my arm in her cage, like a branch almost. And hours of tent time also.

I now do the same thing with all three gliders. When ever I stick my arm in the cage Peach is the first one to climb on right away. Now some days I will do tent time and some days I will open the cage doors and sit in front of the cage with my computer. Then they girls will climb on me and go back in the cage over and over. They come to me when they please.

I realize that not everyone can do this, I was blessed with super calm gliders who really don't stray from their cage
Question
Apr 15 2014
01:37:57 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Ours go to bed about 6am, and we get them out every day around 9:30pm. We go in the bathroom, where they have a above the toilet type shelves to climb on, a shower curtain, towels to jump on, and we made a chain thing to hang from one of the door hinges to the towel rack where they can climb on it, or jump to their pouch we hang there.
All this we have been doing since January. We've had them since August, but we have been gradually accumulating and making things for the gliders to play on. It's been a slow process. ShannonLCorum talked about how she takes hers out every morning. We are busy, so ours have not had the bonding pouch every day like the breeder suggested, but we take them out to play nightly, I put their pouch under my shirt 1-2 times a week as I can, and we talk to them, hand feed them treats and mealworms. They have trusted us for a few months, but weren't bonded. Now I know they are bonded to us. If they have just recently gone in their pouch, and I come talk to them, at least one of them pokes a head out of the pouch. If they are hopping around in the cage at night, and I go talk to them, or call one of them and say 'Cheyenne, do you want a treat?' She perks up her head and comes to me for a treat.
Question
Apr 16 2014
12:20:26 PM
anEgyptian Joey 33 Posts
My goal really would be to make my glider's priority to interact with/on me. I guess tent time for the win lol… lie i said bonding is the devil!
Question
Apr 16 2014
05:08:57 PM
Kimalynn Starting Member 4 Posts
It really is about patience. I struggled with my second glider because she's naturally just soooo nervous. But like other said, i played with them every night. Usually they dont wake up until 8 so what ill do is sit in my tent with them with the pouch in my lap so when they first come out they'll see my face. I then give them a treat to eat while sitting on me. Basic classical conditioning. Give them something they like when do a behavior you like. When they see your face give them a treat. Eventually they'll associate you with the treats and think "oh yay! mommy/daddy has yummy stuff" and then it'll turn into parent=good. :) Ive had mine for a year and its been a long process but now they give me nose kisses and groom me and everything.

Also I usually play with them in the tent which i think helps them get used to you. Ill let them run around the room but they're into everything they rarely paid attention to me. lol plus i feel its safer for them. but thats just my opinion.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders