Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Milo the New Glider
Milo the New Glider
Health related
Apr 14 2014
02:47:48 PM
I just had my female Daisy pass away, so I bought Meeko a new friend, Milo. He is about five months old, cute, and tiny. He is housed separately from Meeko until he is bigger, and are getting used to each other's scent. However, Milo has developed diarrhea. It's not severe and watery, but it's not a normal stool. His tail is also wet and matted down, and I'm not sure if its from his urine or stool. I'm also not sure why he's not cleaning or grooming himself. Is it because he's stressed about being in a new environment, and with Meeko around? Or missing his family? Sometimes he calls out because I think he is lonely.
Should I take him to the vet, or will this subside after a day or so?
Also, he is on a new diet. The person before only fed him pellets and half an apple. He isn't eating pellets anymore, and a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables with vitamins and protein. Could this be the cause? Should I be worried?
Health related
Apr 14 2014
03:35:47 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
There could be many reasons for this, as you've mentioned...stress, diet, etc. But, he should absolutely be taken to a vet to be checked out so that you may ensure he is in good health and to begin the 30 day quarantine process. Him being on a poor diet to start with and this added stress is enough on a little guy already.

It also seems that you do not feed a research approved diet?

Did the vet give you a cause of death for your little Daisy?

Good luck, get him some good care right away.
Health related
Apr 14 2014
04:16:11 PM
Emmy3994 Joey 15 Posts
They are on a research approved diet, what I meant by protein was the PML diet, along with fruits and veggies, and their glider vitamins.
Daisy passed from bacteria from her small intestine suddenly entering her bloodstream. It was not caused by diet or trauma.
Thank you! I'll get him the care he needs!
Health related
Apr 15 2014
11:11:40 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Oh, good...thanks for clearing up the diet question.

Your poor Daisy, that's a horrible thing to have happen. I haven't heard of that one yet. Was it very sudden? I'm not exactly sure how that would happen...a twist in the intestine causing some sort of small rupture? Would there be anything others of us could look for as symptoms? Sorry, not trying to be insensitive as I know this is upsetting.

I'm so glad that you have a vet that can take care of your new little guy.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
Health related
Apr 15 2014
02:52:28 PM
Emmy3994 Joey 15 Posts
I know! It was extremely sudden. One day she was fine, and the next day she was gone. I would look for signs like shakiness, and lack of movement. It was hard for me to tell the day before that she was a little unwell because she's not a social glider, and some days she will be moody and lethargic. Now I'm not taking any chances.
My vet told me it can just happen since their digestive systems are so sensitive, and the bacteria can just overgrow.

I took Milo to the vet and the exact same thing is wrong with him...Luckily I caught it in time and he is on strong antibiotics. I just hope he will make it through the night. I can't lose another one :( But, hopefully he will pull through.
Milo the New Glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Milo the New Glider