Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Female Glider Doesn't Look Very Good
Health related
Apr 17 2014
07:06:02 PM
So, I have two gliders: a standard grey male (un-neutered) and a white faced female.
I got both of them at the end of December 2013 at 8 weeks OOP.
I have recently switched them over to the original BML after being on an unstable diet.

My male glider is looking much better after the switch.
His fur has evened out and he has cubbed up a good bit. (:

However, my female is looking worse.
It looks like her weight is the same, but her fur is cracked even more.

All of the BML mix is gone when I wake up in the morning, but all the carrots and fruit are left over.
Can anyone explain what might be happening to my female glider?
Health related
Apr 18 2014
04:34:35 AM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
Are you feeding the recommended fruits/veg for the BML diet? Its very specific and you are limited to what you can feed.

It can take a few weeks for fur condition to improve.

Just on a side note, if your male in not neutered how do you plan to prevent breeding?
Health related
Apr 18 2014
06:44:52 PM
Melonbat Starting Member 7 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Helen88uk

Are you feeding the recommended fruits/veg for the BML diet? Its very specific and you are limited to what you can feed.

It can take a few weeks for fur condition to improve.

Just on a side note, if your male in not neutered how do you plan to prevent breeding?

I am aware of the different fruits and veggies. I feed the approved ones every night. However, the fruits and veggies both go almost untouched.

Also, I don't plant on preventing them from breeding at all. xD
Health related
Apr 18 2014
07:40:45 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It is a rather tight gene pool out there. It isn't recommended to allow them to breed if you don't have their lineage, for a multitude of reasons, mostly that it produces weak offspring. If your female is already showing signs of looking less than healthy it would be extremely hard on her if she were to get pregnant...if not fatal.

Just my 2 cents. Not at all being disrespectful. Just caring.
Health related
Apr 19 2014
12:41:48 PM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
The only reason I ask is because if you got them both together at 8weeks OOP your female is likely to become pregnant well before the minimum recommended breeding age. It really isn't advised to breed females under 1 year old.

But as far as her coat is concerned, it does take time to improve, sometimes a few months.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders