Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
So, I think my sugar glider has a mental disability ):
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2014
02:07:01 AM
Okay, early Novemebr I bought my gliders. One male, then one female from the same person. I love them both I truely do, but... This is getting to the point to where I might have to find another home for my female suggie :/

It's been up until now and she still has not bonded with me, and I hate it and it kills me inside. My male loves me, and is always look to nibble on my fingertips.

Every night she crabs, Every day she runs away from and bites me hard. Why'll the male approuches me as a loved one. She's done this since Novemeber and I've tried my best, and looked at every way to bond possible... Tents, pouches, more play time.

She has 2 near death experiences, and has had 2 seizures as the cause. She scared me one both nights barking like a chi hua hua. The. When I checked her out in the cage she became stiff, and her mouth started foaming. I prayed over her all night and (i am certified for humans and babies) I did my best to bring air back to her lungs. After 3 hours of trying she woke up, but was still. Very faint beating heart, and almost a lifeless body. I stood all night with her in my arms, untill I fell asleep. She ended up waking me up by moving my hands that were covering her. I cried , because of this.

I love my suggies Cookie and Creme. But Creme is having issues. The second to.e she was developing paralysis on her hinde
legs. She managed to fully recover from that, and she has the energy of a 4 year old.

I really want to bond with her, and I don't want it to affect the guy. I have to leave him in the cage because I don't want her getting depressed.

Anyone have advice?
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2014
09:58:40 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Have you had her checked by a glider knowledgeable vet? She may be sick and could benefit from medication. The seizures and inability to move for a time might also be nutritional - lack of calcium can contribute to both conditions.

What diet are you feeding your gliders? Poor nutrition can cause many issues for gliders.

I hope you will not give up on your glider without making sure there is nothing you can do medically to help her.
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2014
01:54:28 PM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
I definitely recommend seeing an exotic vet. This is not normal behavior...

Also, I have read about a certain cage causing sugar gliders to have seizures that were made in 2009. I have to remember the exact brand of it.

Don't give up on your little glider. I know it's tough. I know it's frustrating. But she needs you. Just the fact that you saved her life and keep trying to bond with her shows you care. She doesn't know any better, and I am 110% sure you will not find anybody who will care for her as much as you do. If you give her away, she will only get worse due to her environment changing and make her stress out.

Gliders have different personalities. All are different. There are no 2 gliders who are EXACTLY the same. Maybe Creme is a little bit more independent and prefers to be left alone?

Give it time before you make your final decision. Gliders need time and dedication. Some Gliders take MONTHS sometimes an entire year to bond with their owner! I already had mine for about 2 months and he still won't let me cup him in my palm... It just depends on the personality. They're all different. Especially the females, they're a bit more nippy and crabby. Women... Lol.

Take the bites, do not pull away or else they will see that as a way to get what they want. Try dipping your finger in honey or greek yogurt so she can lick it off and associate your hands as a positive thing. Talk to her in a positive tone. try to pet her even when she won't let you. Just give her time and let her see that you are only trying to love her and care for her, not hurt her in any way.

Good Luck
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 09 2014
05:24:59 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
You can do this. It takes persistence, and lots of it. Some gliders are not very trusting, and it may take years for them to bond. If you can't bond with her, it's highly unlikely anyone else can either. She'll probably be happiest with you, because it's at least familiar and she has the cagemate that she knows. Don't give her up, and take her to the vet. She might need medication or a different diet, it could be something so simple. And also, be patient. They can sense your emotions. Just do what you can, and be persistent and patient. That glider probably won't benefit at all from a new home, and it might even make her behavior worse. Just keep swimming!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories