GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bolt house green goodness juice
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 09 2014
12:49:31 AM
Hi guys :)
Wondering if anybody has used this juice for their fuzz butts? It seems to have a lot if good things in it - like spirulina and dulse, along with various fruits as well...
Would it be ok to give this to them? Was thinking of putting a teaspoon on top of their f/v?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 09 2014
01:31:07 AM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
Some of the green juices do have garlic in them. It is usually at the bottom of the list of ingredients so there is very little in there, but people that give it to their gliders are adding it to their staple mixture, so it is spread among many servings.

I don't think it will hurt them to let them try it. It's mostly juice(sugars) but if they don't like it...they may not eat the f/v that you put it on.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 09 2014
03:40:03 AM
Mokkagurl Glider Visit Mokkagurl's Photo Album 51 Posts
Oh it DOES have garlic! I put a tsp in with their staple tonite!!! Will they be ok then? I don't know how I missed the garlic part!?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 09 2014
08:24:55 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It's a minuscule amount even if they finished all of it they shouldn't have any trouble. Garlic and onions cause digestive issues but with the amount that is in the juice and the fact that it isn't in solid form cause it to act differently on them. Not recommended for daily use of course.

Now, if you'd gone to the store and bought a bag of mixed veggies and missed the fact that you put several pieces of onion in for their meal...that would be more worrisome.

I'm sure they'll be ok.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2014
12:06:53 AM
Thanks blue nostalgic :) will look more closely at labels from now on... And who puts garlic with fruit anyways!?!?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2014
12:37:58 AM
Garlic has a lot of great Health properties for People...just not good for dogs, cats and gliders.

And all of the other ingredients have great health properties too.

Like Blue said there is such a tiny amount in there and the problem is said to be with the fiber/solid garlic(and Onions) that are not digested that cause the problems, but I wanted to point that out since it has been brought up on here before so people are aware.

I mix a green juice in my gliders modified OHPW and they are loving it.

I have used Odwalla, Naked and the Bolthouse brands...not all brands are carried at all stores.

I also only use 8 oz from the 16 oz bottles and have been freezing the other half or it will have been opened too long to use it for the next batch. I pull it out and put it in the fridge the day before I need to remake their staple so it won't go to waste.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2014
01:41:59 AM
Well it's good to know :) my guys love it too... I put a tsp in with their HPW portion and just mixed it together and they licked the bowl clean!
So, I could put it in every night with their staple? Do you just add it to the mix when you're blending it all together then?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2014
03:26:55 AM
I add the 8 ounces to their whole batch of food. I Use Candy's gliderkids Wombaroo version with the calcium and use the GJ in place of 1 cup of the water.

I get about 108 (2 teaspoon) servings in a batch and I freeze the other half of the juice for the next time.

I don't think it would matter too much which way you added it, they would just get more of it per serving (extra sugar from the fruit juices) and you would go thru it faster and they may eat less of the f/v.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Jul 10 2014 03:28:34 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2014
10:20:46 AM
Oh I use the same staple, so that's easy then :)
They love this juice so it's an easy sell! I haven't noticed them eating less f/v but ill add it to the staple mix when I'm making it all... I like that idea :)
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2014
12:21:28 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
I add the 8 ounces to their whole batch of food. I Use Candy's gliderkids Wombaroo version with the calcium and use the GJ in place of 1 cup of the water.

keep a close eye on your gliders weight.

By substituting the juice for part of the water in the recipe you are greatly increasing the SUGAR content of the staple which already has a large sugar content from the amount of honey in the recipe.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders