Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories
Feral Glider in south Texas
Funny
Jul 12 2014
06:13:22 PM

We heard a ruckus in the cabinet above our microwave, and assumed it to be a rat. On opening the cabinet we saw this animal.
We photographed it before it ran off into a tree.
After an internet search, I found that it was probably a sugar glider, but then saw they were native to Australia. Can anyone confirm?

We live in the middle nowhere in cattle country in south Texas, and no one around us would have any interest in such a pet. Besides we have large dogs, and coyotes roaming everywhere.

Edited by - Texasglider on Jul 12 2014 06:39:56 PM
Funny
Jul 12 2014
06:54:44 PM
glidergranny Joey 22 Posts
If you see it again see if you can catch it. Some might be looking for her
Funny
Jul 12 2014
07:13:24 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
You can just yank off your shirt and toss over and grab the critter. If you can cage it I'm sure somebody will take it. Poor thing must be dying of thirst.
Funny
Jul 13 2014
01:13:29 AM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
I dont think the climate is right for her to live outside all year round.
Funny
Jul 14 2014
01:17:34 AM
A Glider has been captured, A meeting will be set up tomorrow to get the glider to a glider person and I will keep you updated. Unless the OP comes back to post/update
Funny
Jul 14 2014
06:40:41 AM
Tinkdarling13 Glider GliderMap Visit Tinkdarling13's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
So glad to hear , it's caught and safe . Hopefully it is healthy and got no injuries while on its adventure .
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2014
10:04:32 AM
Texasglider Starting Member Visit Texasglider's Photo Album 3 Posts
The wife was feeding the chickens late last evening, when she saw movement on the coop roof. Upon further inspection, it was a sugar glider...again. We don't think its the same one that was in our home two nights ago. This one is a youngster, smaller, and has lighter markings. Someone dumped these guys on our country road. Dogs, and armadillos we've seen dumped, but never one of these before.

We may have a family living in our trees. They probably are looking for chicken feed, or water.

We chased him and he had great difficulty moving in the grass, so we caught him with a butterfly net. He's in our hav-a-hart trap. I gave him a cherry tomato and a wet sponge for water. Overnight he had completely consumed the tomato which had to weigh almost as much as he does. I've been contacted by Mary, one of your rescue folks, and she is on her way to pick him up.

He'll be fine. Why would someone dump these little guys, when so many good folks would take them in?
Funny
Jul 14 2014
10:15:53 AM
glidergranny Joey 22 Posts
i am glad he has been rescued. Do you have a picture of him? I dont understand why people would just dump them. You just cant fix stupid. Where in Texas are you?
Funny
Jul 14 2014
11:19:03 AM
Texasglider Starting Member Visit Texasglider's Photo Album 3 Posts
We are in Lavaca County, Texas, near Hallettsville.

I just met with your community member, Mary,and gave the little critter to her. There may be more to come as this is not the critter in our kitchen two nights ago. This is a young female, and her tail is much lighter in color than the photo above, and she is smaller. What's next, a kangaroo??

Edited by - Texasglider on Jul 14 2014 11:20:56 AM
Funny
Jul 14 2014
05:25:37 PM
Hello sweet girl, I am coming after you in a few weeks, If I can pry her from Mary, Mary said she did not even crab and has not crabbed yet. Hoping the rest are captured, Mary will put them in same cage as she gets them in. Thank You so much for helping the gliders. I dont know if you got my message but a shallow dish of water is better than a sponge.
Funny
Aug 10 2014
01:33:56 PM
I have her here. She is a wild child. Going to intro her into a cage of 2 girls after vet check. I trimmed her nails yesterday without incident yesterday in houston.
Funny
Aug 10 2014
04:09:55 PM
sunRaeTX Glider Visit sunRaeTX's Photo Album sunRaeTX's Journal TX, USA 125 Posts
Awww :) what a sweet story !!!!!
Funny
Aug 25 2014
12:26:04 AM
UPDATE: The cage of her and 2 sisters did not work out so she ended up with annabel, a cremino female. She is learning to share her toys and food(I put 2 feeding stations out). Mary named her Spring so that's what I call her. She can surely SPRING into action, lol
Funny
Sep 03 2014
09:49:33 PM
Jon Brand Joey 46 Posts
So any news on the original one you posted a photo of? It was very good looking.
Funny
Sep 03 2014
10:17:59 PM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
Wow this is such a crazy story! Any updates?
Funny
Sep 03 2014
10:19:32 PM
Jon, those pics although look somewhat different are thought to be the same glider. The OP has seen no more signs of any more gliders. Spring is now with one of my recent widowers, Leo, She loves, loves, loves him. Finally found her a snuggle buddy. He is of course neutered.
Funny
Sep 03 2014
10:21:08 PM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
Wow this is such a crazy story! Any updates?
Funny
Sep 03 2014
11:47:24 PM
Jon Brand Joey 46 Posts
so random stray sugar glider happens to be neutered and is caught? and you were contacted and adopted him? trying to figure out whats goin on here.
Funny
Sep 04 2014
08:32:48 AM
Spring is a girl and yes I have her, she is calming down. she will take a cricket from my hand, but no pet or anything. next tent time I will get pics. when she was caught in the live trap she went from there to the glider tree(Mary's place) in Houston with the understanding she would come here to Cora's Glider Spa ;) I picked her up last month on the second Saturday. Hopes this clear up some confusion???
Funny
Sep 05 2014
08:41:37 AM

Funny
Sep 05 2014
12:04:14 PM
sugargldr Glider Visit sugargldr's Photo Album 61 Posts
So happy to hear you not only found her but found someone knowledgeable and caring to get her the care she needs. Awesome!
Funny
May 12 2015
05:36:45 AM
vsJewel Glider Visit vsJewel's Photo Album USA 70 Posts
this makes me smile by rereading it.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Glider Stories