Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
do you have a favorite?
do you have a favorite?
Question
Jul 13 2014
05:08:37 AM
I am wondering because my baby Gallifray is such a momma suck. All together I have 11 in my home. 4 in my original colony and now 7 in my "fosters". Gally was born here, and lately I can't open the cage without him jumping out onto me.

The other night I quickly took the sleeping pouch out to check on the new baby, and when he realized that I was paying attention to another glider he ran around the front of the cage and to where the sleeping pouch was giving me looks like I was cheating on him.

I am loving the bond we have, but I am feeling like I am not spending time with the rest of the babies.

Has anyone dealt with this? any advice would be helpful.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 13 2014
07:58:06 AM
Jasminejasmine Joey Visit Jasminejasmine's Photo Album 12 Posts
hahaha but thats adorable.

I have 5 gliders, two are completely bonded to me in the same way, so when the OTHER two had a joey, I would have to take her out separately so I could hand-train her before I found her a new home. When I did that, the two others would slam into the front of the cage trying to get my attention so I would know "WE ARE RIGHT HERE LET US OUT"

When the baby was really little, like up to 4 weeks OOP, I would let them all out at the same time and the two bonded gliders liked the little girl and gave her kisses etc (they were her older siblings ).But by the time she was 6 weeks oop she was fully furred, bigger and gotten her own scent, so the male started to get very aggressive, and luckily it didnt happen outside of her cage... one day the male was hissing and lunging at her through the bars of her cage.

Either way, for a few weeks I had to take the joey out to play alone, and she had gotten bigger so it was usually quite a long play time. All i can say is, yes your gliders will be jealous when you have one out instead of them, and it sounds like it might be harder on your little guy since he is all alone in his cage? if you are his only friend that could definitely add to his anxiety about sharing you. But, It wont hurt your bond as long as you get them out after you spend time with the others. Its good to try and do it while he is sleeping, but even if he wakes up and demands attention, ignoring your other gliders is not an option, obviously.

I would try to get him a friend if you plan to keep him for a long time (is he a foster?), and he should be much happier and much more willing to share you.
Question
Jul 13 2014
11:19:58 AM
indiccarose Glider Visit indiccarose's Photo Album 114 Posts
Thanks Jasmine, He is in a cage with his family (6 others, including new joey). I am absolutely keeping him and his new brother, and maybe mom and dad. I need another cage to separate the colony but am already struggling with getting the neuters. I had a lady that was interested in the other 3 and was supposed to pay for the neuters and buy a cage, but I got a text from her last weekend saying that she couldn't take them till September.

Him being in the same cage makes it difficult because anytime I open the door or put my hand in the cage he will run to me or jump out.He is fast, and it is really hard to get him back in his cage. Sometimes he will run onto my back when we get close because I can't reach him. He is just selfish lol.
do you have a favorite?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
do you have a favorite?