GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New owner needs bonding advise badly!
Information
Jul 14 2014
06:06:14 PM
Hello Everyone
So it's week three for me and my new gliders (Sol and Luna). I know bonding can take a while sometimes even months but, I was just looking for advise. The only thing they will do is lick honey off my fingers. Both still crab at me (till they realize it isn't working), and I still lunge at me,(sometimes I have honey on my finger and hey get a huge month full). I don't want to push them they are sometimes so scared they shake, but at the same time I don't want to just leave them alone and not try to bond. I'm just wondering if there is more that I can/should do?
Information
Jul 14 2014
06:13:33 PM
cassiebucher Starting Member Visit cassiebucher's Photo Album 4 Posts
have you tried a bonding pouch? Im a first time snuggie owner and we havent even had ours a week. bet we kept holding the pouch and on day 4 took them in our tent just by holding the pouch. we took peaunuts and blueberry yogrut on our finger and the one popped right out into.my hand played and explored however the other never left thw pouch. good luck!
Information
Jul 14 2014
08:45:38 PM
chips2013 Glider Visit chips2013's Photo Album NJ, USA 127 Posts
It took almost a month before I could get my female, Annie, to come anywhere near me. Even now, (we have had her 3 months), I am not allowed to pick her up. She climbs all over me and plays and will curl up in my hands if it's under HER terms, but I cannot pick her up with some consequences! ;)

Keep at it, don't force her. Talk to her through the cage, offer her treats, and don't get frustrated! It's such a process, but they are worth it! Some are more stubborn then others! Keep at it, they will get better! :)
Information
Jul 15 2014
07:57:08 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
It took months before our girls were bonded to us. It is recommended by many to carry them daily in a bonding pouch, but me and my husband are just too busy to do that. But we take them out nightly into the bathroom to play, where they at first didn't want to have a whole lot to do with us. But with the frequent giving of yogurt drops, they came to like us better and gradually learned that they could trust us and climb all over us.

It was recommended early on that we put our hand in the cage and every time offer treats of some sort just so they would associate our hand with good things. This of course is not something you want to do at night when they are active, but during the day while they sleep. I would give the sleepy girls a few treats in the afternoon, and I think that really helped. Now they know that when we open the bathroom door after playtime it is time to go back to the cage and they jump right in. It just takes some time(more so for some) and a bit of patience.
Information
Jul 15 2014
08:03:35 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Some thing I forgot to mention. Most gliders do not like to be picked up; some do and some never like it. It works best for us to hold out a hand and wait until they crawl onto it. Sometimes now that it is summer they come out early (one does anyway) before we have the bathroom prepared for them. Then we carry the pouch down to the bathroom, but one was already out, so we have to wait for her to crawl on a hand before taking her to the bathroom as well.

I'm not sure the shaking is fear. Ours often shake even after a year, and they definitely are not afraid of us. Sometimes it seems to be thirst: Cheyenne, our biggest but most cautious one sometimes sits and shakes even after we coax her out of the pouch. Sometimes just offering her the water dish will stop the shaking.
Information
Jul 16 2014
10:44:24 PM
FigMynt Starting Member Visit FigMynt's Photo Album SC, USA 9 Posts
My baby boy bonded with me in only a few short weeks. I took him everywhere... And I literally mean EVERYWHERE in his pouch. Try to leave him be in there. Even if he/she is sleeping, they are still smelling you and getting to know your voice. They will associate that with a sense of comfort. Always have treats on hand!! I found dried fruits to be the easiest and healthiest. I also carry diaper wipes. If your baby wants to wake up, it will most likely be to go to the bathroom! I am guilty of not really Doing what all the websites told me to do; however, it worked for me and my baby is the most loving little boy. I've even received compliments from former glider owners about how tame my boys is! I'm not sure if I got lucky or just did things right, but I know my way worked for my boy!! Hope this is helpful!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders