Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My gliders are sleeping on the floor
Question
Aug 13 2014
01:02:39 AM
My gliders are sleeping on the floor?? I have a pouch but they just keep sleeping in the corner!
Question
Aug 13 2014
01:52:25 AM
ilovemysuggiegliderbaby Glider Visit ilovemysuggiegliderbaby's Photo Album 90 Posts
How long have you had them and is it just floor or is there something on it like cotton or a puppy pad or something else?
Question
Aug 13 2014
07:24:54 AM
Roboyuki11 Joey 16 Posts
3days ago I got a female and a male. The first day they slept in the pouch but the next day the male slept on the floor. I assumed she kicked him out or something but the 3rd day they both slept on there. After the second day I put in some care fresh bedding.
Question
Aug 13 2014
07:48:52 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
They are certainly still adjusting to their new home. How old are they? Are they in their original cage or a new one? I'm sure there are differing opinions on using the bedding, Pet Fresh has both the shavings and the confetti kind. I think you're referring to the none wood shavings (which are not to be used with gliders). Many cages for gliders have a metal grate that separates the drop pan...keeps them from getting into their own messes or grabbing up food waste that might be spoiled. Much easier to clean as well. I would worry that they may ingest some of the bedding.

Is the pouch that you've offered also new to them? If so do you have anything that came with them that has their scent? It will make the transition easier for them if they do have something familiar. Offer a couple of different pouches for them to chose from. They will probably settle in soon.

Good luck with your new babies!
Question
Aug 13 2014
09:20:22 AM
Roboyuki11 Joey 16 Posts
Thank you I will switch the bedding. Is aspen ok? I heard to use it's rather than cedar or pine. And I'll put in another pouch. Thank you
Question
Aug 13 2014
12:22:25 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Aspen is ok, but avoid pine and cedar because the aromatics could potentially damage their lungs.

Some say that gliders don't need cage bedding. Still, I personally use Yesterday News cat litter (can be found in any pet shop, even Walmarts and such). It is made of recycle paper rolled really tightly in small pieces, it is dust free, and is very cheap (it's like $15 for an 8lb bag)

Hope this is helpful
Question
Aug 13 2014
12:36:35 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I was looking at something this morning (actually I guess it isn't quite on topic). Anyway...in order to eliminate some of the cage odor...instead of bedding some make a 'tea' out of the euc leaves that are going crunchy. Mix that with some water and use it to freshen the cage! I love this idea!!!
Question
Aug 13 2014
06:15:41 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
Gliders don't know a pouch is a pouch if they can't smell it. Every time we wash our gliders' pouches, they have no idea what it is and ignore it, because it doesn't smell like them! They're probably confused. Gliders in a new home have quite the adjustment process. Good luck!
Question
Aug 13 2014
09:57:54 PM
Roboyuki11 Joey 16 Posts
I don't have anything from their old home but I did get them another pouch I hope this works. I hate to see them on the floor!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders