Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two young gliders always fight/mate b/w 4-6am... too loud!
Question
Aug 18 2014
08:18:24 PM
Alright, so we have two 5 month olds, one male and one female. The male is neutered, he was neutered the week his bald spot appeared about two months ago. They have been cagemates for only about a week and cuddle together and groom each other, et cetera. I have the cage in my room. For the last 4 days I have been woken up between 4 and 6am to extremely loud noises by them. It sounds like they're either fighting or mating. I have to turn the light on and make them go in the pouch just so they'll stop, which cuts their playtime short and disrupts my sleep too. It looks like they're chasing each other around when this happens. I'm worried they're fighting, or he is trying to mate with her and she is telling him no but he isn't listening, or something like that. He compulsively scent marks in the playroom, I'm not sure he knows he's neutered lol. Anyway, what can I do? I can't keep getting woken up, and turning the light on affects both cages of gliders which I hate doing. They could be put in another room but I like them close to me so that I can hear if anyone gets hurt and needs help during the night... and it comforts me hearing them all night so I know they're safe. The little boy is my bonded baby and I want to make sure he's safe, but also that he isn't hurting the girl!
Question
Aug 19 2014
12:41:53 PM
shannonlcorum Face Hugger Visit shannonlcorum's Photo Album 538 Posts
The female seems a little young, but she could be in heat. He will still try to mate with her, even if he is neutered. Maybe you should try and sit up and watch to see what they are doing. If they are just playing tag, then it's probably fine. If they are doing a lot of hissing or balling up and crabbing at each other, then they may be fighting.

Also, if you haven't had them together long, they may still be trying to figure out who is in charge. Check to make sure neither has any sort of wound or infection that the other is over grooming.

Do you have more than 1 cage of gliders? Maybe you need to separate the cages a bit more.
Question
Aug 19 2014
12:48:28 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
We have two cages. One is the 5 month old boy and girl. The other is two adults and two 2 week old joeys. The adults are the 5 month old boy's parents, but he and the dad will try to fight so they cannot be near each other. They are across the room from each other. The kids are in a huge cage right now, with ramps and vines and a wheel and all sorts of stuff to do. When I wake up and look it seems they are chasing each other. My boyfriend is sure that the boy is chasing the girl and making noises at her, though it could be the girl making the noises. Maybe she's just in heat, I don't know. last night they started at midnight and I had to move the cage into the hallway so I could sleep! They are both rather submissive and neither is clearly in charge. They could be "playing tag" but it sounds like a crab-like noise. Very short and loud little crab-like noise, but repeated over and over. I have not seen any wounds on either and we play with them most nights.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders