Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My gliders are making a whole lot noise.. what gives?
Question
Sep 01 2014
01:09:18 PM
Hey guys so my gliders are being extremely loud these days.
They just had a pair of joeys (about 2 weeks oop)

They've always been loud but this is a little extreme. It's like they're fighting all the time. Almost as if they were mating but when I look inside the pouch they just look at me like nothing is going on.

If I take the pouch out of the cage and have it with me they are quiet but if I put it back they start doing it again.

I love my gliders but it's definitely bothering me. It's not a crabbing noise but more like a really high pitched cry. Sometimes it's so loud it's scary. I check on them and they just look at me like nothing.

I want to remove the male for the night so I can sleep but with the joeys there I can't.

Is there anything I should do? They don't seem like they have bites or anything. I thought maybe they were mating again but they've never been this loud before.
Plus when I check on them they're not?
Any ideas?
Question
Sep 01 2014
02:06:49 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
They probably ARE mating - you may want to have the male neutered NOW although you may already have additional joeys on the way in the very near future.
Question
Sep 02 2014
06:36:48 AM
elweshomayor Glider Visit elweshomayor's Photo Album 70 Posts
I mean they probably are this time around but what about before? Are there rare times where gliders just play rough with eachother in the pouch?

I mean I hear screeching. It can't be good that they're like that all the time.
It's like an old married couple, they won't stop fighting but they're inseparable.

It literally happens every time. I hear screeching I run to see and they're like "what's up?"

I go back to bed and not even 2 seconds later it happens again. I even took the pouch to my bed and they wouldn't do it. Then I placed it back and they started again. It's like they're mocking me -_- lol

They're gonna traumatize my joeys lol they don't cry in my hands anymore. :) they're so sweet now I think they're starting to recognize me.

I will neuter the boy. I actually will sell this pair of joeys to a friend of mine and utilize the money to neuter. Although it's gonna be hard parting with the babies I already love them...

As for the parents.. has anyone experienced this? It really concerns me. Again no bite marks or injury. Is there anything other than neutering that I can do? (Which I will do as soon as I get 360 dollars. Which is the cost of the neuter.)

Also here are my babies. Standard gray correct? (Black beauty? No right? )

Edited by - elweshomayor on Sep 02 2014 06:45:30 AM
Information
Sep 02 2014
02:20:18 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The appear to be standard grey gliders.

Have you looked at their bellies to see if they are male or female? The mail will have a small furry 'pom' in the middle of his belly. A female joey will have a "U" shaped pouch that is very easily seen on a young joey.

You may just need to move your gliders away from where you sleep. Some gliders are just noisy. I have a couple of barkers that bark every night - especially if they hear something like the sprinklers coming on in the yard.

It is likely your gliders will be noisy for 2 or 3 nights each month when the female is in heat - and it will take some time after neutering for the male to completely loose interest in mating since he is already an adult. Male joeys that are neutered very young never seem to show interest in mating.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders