Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mother glider keeps crabbing at father
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 01 2014
01:11:26 PM
One of my glider pairs just had their first litter. Dad is about 4 years old, mom is just under 2 years old and the babies are 9 days oop. They hit it off right away when I introduced them and have been together for a little over 4 months with no problems. Both Mom and Dad are very sweet and attentive to the joeys and they all snuggle in the nesting pouch together throughout the day. In the evening, they take turns eating, playing, and joey sitting. However, every morning between 5:30-6:30, the female starts crabbing at and attacking the male. She bites him as well, but as of yet they haven't broken the skin. He gets in a very defensive posture and just waits it out until eventually they both go to bed. I have yet to observe anything that seems to provoke the attacks. Has anyone experienced anything like this? What should I do? She seems so angry with him and very stressed and he seems so sad and confused. It's heartbreaking. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 01 2014
02:04:46 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
She is most likely in heat and is trying to discourage him from mating.

You may want to consider having dad neutered very soon - before you have additional joeys on the way. Unfortunately, it may be too late and more joeys are on the way very soon.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 02 2014
01:32:35 PM
TheMuse42 Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you! That is what I had thought at first, but I was surprised that it has continued so I second guessed myself.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders