Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mating?
Mating?
Question
Sep 02 2014
01:11:38 PM
A few nights ago I noticed my now six month old glider started to "gain" his sent glads.

Last night I noticed him and my two year old female (they should not be related as she came from ND and my boy came from SD from a breeder) started to lick each other's s private area. They were kind of hugging, he was on top.

Is he marking her? Or is he trying to woo her? I'd like to know what you think so I can to some more research on glider babies and buy Suez emergency glider kit just incase.

Thank you!
Question
Sep 02 2014
01:32:24 PM
LexiGlider Glider Visit LexiGlider's Photo Album IL, USA 58 Posts
I want to add that my female who is normally very active was kind of to herself last night. She ran on the wheel for awhile then had that same thing with my male glider a time or two more then went into the pouch to stay for the rest of the night.
Question
Sep 02 2014
01:49:54 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
If they male is not neutered, which I am sure is the case since his bald spots are starting to show, it is very likely that they are indeed mating.
o
You should start reading about glider pregnancy and joeys as much as you can, and of course prepare as best as possible.

The other thing is that without lineages, it is not recommended to allow gliders to mate. Though you got them from different breeder/places, they could still be related since gliders are shipped all across the country (even internationally). And there are many health problems than can stem from that. Not to mention that you'll have to incur the price of having to neuter the males, and separate the females so they don't breed with their parents. My recommendation is to get your male neutered as soon as possible.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 02 2014
03:07:06 PM
I actually want to breed these two and I have read and was told that a male should not be able to breed until he is at least a year old. So I put the two together after the 30 day mark. To try to get the two to bond together as they were both signal gliders. It has worked out great and now this has happened and I'm a little lost of how in the world he would be doing this. Unless the breeder lied about how old he was.Or if the information I was given was wrong. I have papers for him but not for her.

Can a vet do a blood test and find out if they are related or not? If so Id actually would like to do this to see if any of my gliders are related or not.
Information
Sep 02 2014
03:38:59 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Male gliders mature between 4 and 6 months OOP so he is fully ready to mate with the female.

There is no blood test to determine if your gliders are related and if there were it would probably be very expensive because the gliders would probably need to be under anesthesia to have blood drawn because of their size.

The only way to determine if your gliders are related or not is to get the lineage (family tree) for each glider and look at them closely to see if there are any common ancestors. If the breeder or prior owner did not give you those records you might ask if they have them. Unfortunately, many hobby breeders do not keep records or are breeding gliders they do not have records on to begin with so they cannot share the information with you.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 02 2014
04:08:07 PM
Thank you Candy, you are just the person I was waiting for to answer my question! Does anyone on here have gliders for sale with their lineage? I'd love to adopt a breeding pair and be able to know the gliders are safely being bred.

I looked at his papers and their is nothing anywhere saying who this ancestors are. Would it make me a bad seller if I did not know the lineage? I have a dream of opening an exotic pet shop, and I'd really love to be able to sell sugar gliders, but I want to make sure I am a reparable breeder.
Question
Sep 02 2014
08:35:48 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You might contact some breeders in your area and ask if they would help mentor you on breeding and pairing gliders to ensure they are compatible and not related. This might help you locate breeders in your area.

http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Breeder_Database/United_States/index.html
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 02 2014
11:50:41 PM
Thank you for your help!
Mating?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mating?