Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
wet gliders??
wet gliders??
Question
Sep 10 2014
06:05:03 AM
My duo finally came out of their pouch after a long mating session last night. But I noticed when they came out that they looked all wet is it common when they groom themselves and each other that they are visibly wet? If not what else could it be??
Question
Sep 10 2014
09:15:50 AM
stephssuggies Joey Visit stephssuggies's Photo Album KY, USA 37 Posts
I posted a pic on the album of how wet they look. Is it possible that while they were breeding and not coming out of their pouch they were urinating in there? They just look really wet. If so is there Amy way to clean them off. If I just switch out theory pouch with a different one and wash it will they eventually clean themselves or do I news to try and clean them somehow and if so how do I go about it?
Question
Sep 10 2014
09:27:27 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
From the photo - I am guessing that is the female - what you are probably seeing is the area that the male holds on to the female with his mouth (sometimes teeth, which can cause a mating wound) and it just became wet during the process.

Some males also mark their females which can make them (and the pouch) wet (and smelly)

You can wash the pouch or add a clean one to the cage and give them a few days to move to the clean one and then remove the dirty one for washing.

You do not need to do anything to clean your gliders - they will groom their own coats back to normal in a short time.

NEVER use a dryer on or near a glider. This can cause injury to the delicate tissue of their eats. Even without heat, the high air flow of a dryer can cause the thin ears to dry out and crack (like chapped lips when you have been out in the wind)
Question
Sep 10 2014
09:37:05 AM
Thank u Soooo much for answering!! They r both pretty wet and smelly and she does have a mating wound on her neck. I will definitely switch their pouch out. I will put their big tent back in their cage. I only took it out and switched it with the pouch so that I could take them out more easily during the day to help them to bond with me. But since she is more than likely pregnant I will put the tent back it would probably be more comfortable to give birth in it than in their smaller bonding pouch. Is it necessary to have a breeder box for her? The previous owners didn't have one for her but if it is better for her to have one I can certainly get one. I really do appreciate your quick response and from what I've read I couldn't have gotten better advice from anyone other than u. U seem to be the glider guru lol. Can u suggest any foods that I can give to up the protein for her so that she gets a sufficient amount in case she is pregnant. I'm sure that just because they bred that doesn't mean that she's positively pregnant but just in case I want her to be on a good enough diet!!!
Question
Sep 10 2014
09:42:13 AM
Posted a better pic of their fur...they don't much care for daytime photo shoots lol
Question
Sep 10 2014
01:34:25 PM
What diet are you feeding them?

If you are offering one of the widely used glider feeding plans then you can just offer an extra half glider serving of the staple, fruits and vegetables so the female can eat as much as she cares to. There should be a small amount of leftovers in the morning - then you know the gliders had all that they wanted and needed to eat.

If you are not already using one of the glider feeding plans, I have links on my web page to help you locate the staple recipes and information on each plan. These recipes for an nectar like staple is the best way to offer your gliders a balanced diet that provides the protein, vitamins and calcium they need when fed along with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables (except BML which limits the fruits and only allows frozen mixed vegetables).

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html
Question
Sep 10 2014
02:41:09 PM
They currently get instant hpw and fruit and ceggies every night I'm thinking of switching them to the hpw fruit and ceggie already mixed though do u know anything aout that plan??
Information
Sep 10 2014
02:42:50 PM
I just posted this reply in your other thread on the HPW

If you are referring to the Exotic Nutrition product sold in jars - we just do not know anything about its quality or if it will keep gliders healthy LONG TERM. This is a VERY new product just introduced a few months ago.

I do not know ANYONE that has had any experience using this product.

My impression is that it could not contain adequate fruits and vegetables to equal the 2 TBS that is usually offered with 1 TBS of Original HPW as a complete feeding.

If you want to feed HPW I recommend using the ORIGINAL HPW made using Wombaroo High Protein Supplement, Eggs, Bee Pollen, Honey and Water mixed in a blender and fed along with a wide variety fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables.

www.hpwdietcenter.com/original.html

If following this recipe I would offer 1 TBS of the HPW rather than 1 1/2 teaspoons as indicated in the recipe. When Peggy developed HPW Plus powder as an alternative to Wombaroo High Protein Supplement and is used for the HPW PLUS diet which is prepared using EXACTLY the same recipe - she now recommends feeding 1 TBS per glider of HPW Plus.

She has never given a reason for the serving amount change but it makes no sense to me to offer HALF that amount when feeding Original HPW - which would be feeding half of the protein, vitamins and calcium.
wet gliders??

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
wet gliders??