Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Types of materials?
Types of materials?
Question
Sep 11 2014
10:39:09 PM
What types of materials are good to use in a glider cage? I only use fleece for their cage sets, but I've seen toys made of everything from bendy straws, to felt Pom poms, wood, feathers, etc. So far, all I've given them are hard plastic items like monkey in a barrel, army men, and wiffle balls.
Question
Sep 11 2014
11:02:06 PM
Minnesota Zoo Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Minnesota Zoo's Photo Album USA 1999 Posts
It also depends on what the toy is.

Some plastic cat balls with metal bells can catch toenails. Some metals are toxic and can rust if get peed on.

Some wood is toxic, and if it is a safe wood...it does absorb odors and can not be cleaned well due the porous nature of the wood. It will get scent marked and will stink and have to be throw away.

Feathers if natural can be left in the cage for them, but some are artificially dyed and the dye can come off if they get wet(peed on) so should only be used for supervised play time.

The craft pom poms in a ball pit are usually ok(I think they are fleece but if they have glittery strands...my gliders pulled out the glitter threads so I tossed them).

If they shred the regular ones in any way...toss them out(also if the sizes are assorted...only give them the larger ones so they don't pose a choking hazard.

The straws are fine too...you can get a 'Whack Whirly' tool that you can cut straws into fun stretchy spirals. If they chew them I just toss them and give them new ones.

Stretchy rubbery things are only safe for supervised play time(unless they have a chemical smell...then not safe at all).

Ping pong balls,the large Holey Rollers, baby rattles, toddler tree houses (no moving parts) are always fun too.

Edited by - Minnesota Zoo on Sep 11 2014 11:06:03 PM
Types of materials?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Types of materials?