Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Need help with a new diet?
Food, Diet
Sep 19 2014
10:15:17 PM
I have been feeding my sugar glider fruits and veggies every night with calcium powder. Then in the morning I give him pellets. But I want a actual diet to follow along to. I want the best for him. I need a lot of help. Can some one tell me a really good diet plan? I heard about the HPW? But I want to know from this community what the best diet plan would be.
Food, Diet
Sep 19 2014
10:35:16 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
There is no 'best' glider diet. You will get several replies and everyone may feel the diet they have chosen is the best.

There are a number of good glider feeding plans that have been used for many years to raise healthy gliders. I have links to several widely used diets on my web page along with my own GliderKids feeding plan which is one of the options you may want to consider.

Read over the information of the various diets and feel free to ask questions if you need more information to help you choose one.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

Your glider definitely needs more than just fruits and vegetables and pellets. Pellets will not keep your gliders healthy long term, and if you are only putting them in the cage during the day, your gliders probably do not eat much of them anyway. Gliders do almost all of their feeding at night when they are awake and active. Most never wake up during the day time to eat anything
Food, Diet
Sep 19 2014
10:37:54 PM
Coreymycat Joey Visit Coreymycat's Photo Album 36 Posts
Thanks I will look into it. I just needed help with finding something better than what I am doing now.
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
02:51:58 PM
I'm having trouble finding the high protein wombaroo powder. Do you know a site I can buy it from? Also would this be good for a diet? Error, missing URL. l
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
04:55:36 PM
Kailey0317 Glider Visit Kailey0317's Photo Album 69 Posts
The Pampered Glider at www.thepamperedglider.com/supplements.htm has OHPW and OHPW starter packs here I believe. See if this helps.

Go to hpwdietcenter.com if you have not to read up on thethree different varieties of HPW diet.
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
05:04:35 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I personally use Original HPW and think it is VERY easy.
You can purchase a sample pack here www.thepamperedglider.com/supplements.htm for about $6.50 with free shipping. Look up the original HPW recipe and make it, then freeze it. The glider gets 1 TBSP of that mixture each night, plus 1 TBSP fruit and 1 TBSP veggies. It's very important that they have protein and some of those vitamins as well, so find a good diet ASAP! They will no longer need pellets if you feed them this. Pellets are not supposed to be used regularly, so you can use up the rest of your bag by giving one or two pellets each night just to nibble on and clean their teeth with.
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
05:25:01 PM
Ok thank you so much. I had my sugar on the Pet Glider Fresh Diet Priscilla Price. Is it the HPW sample that I should get for $6.50? (As for the pellets I just put them in his cage during the day. I have seen him eating them.)
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
08:11:44 PM
Ingredients
2 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups raw honey (no honeycomb)
3 scrambled eggs (cooked)
1/4 cup High Protein Wombaroo Powder (increase to 1/2 cup for breeding sugar gliders - this can be bought online through multiple sources) 
1 tablespoon Bee Pollen (American or Australian - you can find this at most vitamin or health stores) 

Instructions
Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir until honey is dissolved.  Add in the High Protein Wombaroo Powder and mix well.In blender add in eggs, bee pollen and 1/2 to 1 cup HPW liquid. Blend for two minutes.Add in additional liquid and blend for another two minutes.Pour into a freezer safe bowl with an airtight lid. Keep in freezer. Will freeze to consistancy of ice cream.

As you can see here (I got this from the www.hpwdietcenter.com I directed you too..) You need several ingredients. Please note what to buy as in all the ingredients. If you can buy the honey locally and eggs as well no need to order them online. So the sample will be a good start. From then on consider the combo pack for the Original HPW. It has the HPW and the Bee Pollen.
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
08:24:21 PM
Ok thank you! I will definitely give it a try!
Food, Diet
Sep 20 2014
09:15:34 PM
Ingredients
2 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups raw honey (no honeycomb)
3 scrambled eggs (cooked)
1/4 cup High Protein Wombaroo Powder (increase to 1/2 cup for breeding sugar gliders - this can be bought online through multiple sources) 
1 tablespoon Bee Pollen (American or Australian - you can find this at most vitamin or health stores) 

Instructions
Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir until honey is dissolved.  Add in the High Protein Wombaroo Powder and mix well.In blender add in eggs, bee pollen and 1/2 to 1 cup HPW liquid. Blend for two minutes.Add in additional liquid and blend for another two minutes.Pour into a freezer safe bowl with an airtight lid. Keep in freezer. Will freeze to consistancy of ice cream.

As you can see here (I got this from the www.hpwdietcenter.com I directed you too..) You need several ingredients. Please note what to buy as in all the ingredients. If you can buy the honey locally and eggs as well no need to order them online. So the sample will be a good start. From then on consider the combo pack for the Original HPW. It has the HPW and the Bee Pollen.
Food, Diet
Sep 21 2014
12:56:19 AM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Coreymycat

Ok thank you so much. I had my sugar on the Pet Glider Fresh Diet Priscilla Price. Is it the HPW sample that I should get for $6.50? (As for the pellets I just put them in his cage during the day. I have seen him eating them.)

Priscilla price is a different diet than original HPW. There are quite a few diets you can choose from, but I recommend ordering this sample pack so that you can get him on something easy and healthy for now. You can always change it. The sample pack batch should last over a month with one glider. Kailey above me posted the recipe I'm talking about. So you order this sample pack, and go buy eggs and honey. It takes about 18oz of honey in a bottle, I think. The sample pack comes with the wombaroo powder and bee pollen. So you make it as per the recipe above and freeze it. 1 TBSP frozen HPW + 1 TBSP fruit + 1 TBSP veggie each night. Very easy. This diet is low in calcium though, so always have a couple of higher calcium options when choosing your fruits and veggies. I frequently use a bit of calcium and vitamin D fortified orange juice. Some f/v higher in calcium are: orange, papaya, kumquat, kale, spinach, and cabbage. Here is a chart you can look at; ideally aim for a 2:1 Calcium:Phosphorus ratio each night, but it can be hard. Just do your best. Don't ever sprinkle calcium powder because they can overdose on it. You have to find out exactly how much to give them and measure it out. Which depends on what you use; maybe you could google that, or stop using it until you find out.
http://www.critterlove.com/uploads/1/0/3/5/10355506/_sugar_glider_safe_fruits__veggies.pdf

Edited by - astockd1 on Sep 21 2014 12:58:23 AM
Food, Diet
Sep 21 2014
06:47:41 AM
So the sample pack- is it the Wombaroo sample pack or do I pick the HPW sample?
Food, Diet
Sep 21 2014
10:50:25 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If you want to make the HPW diet following the recipe above, get the HPW Sample with Wombaroo High Protein Supplement and the bee pollen.

The Australian Wombaroo diet is a totally different feeding plan and is slightly more complicated than the HWP diet.

Here is the info on the Australian Wombaroo diet so you can see whole plan

http://www.thegliderinitiative.org/Australian%20Wombaroo%20Diet.pdf
Food, Diet
Sep 21 2014
10:58:57 AM
Ok thanks everyone I really appreciate your help. Especially with all my questions.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders